Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor

Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card

Antec Dark League DF800 FLUX ATX Mid Tower Case

MSI MPG A850GF 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular AT

I just built a pc, all new parts, but it keeps randomly freezing.
The screen will just freeze and I have to restart it.

I searched for driver errors and storage errors, I disabled xmp, powers saving, fast startup.
Nothing worked though.

It also didn’t matter if the pc was under load or not.
5 to 30 minutes of the computer being open, wether a program was open or not it would freeze.
Also weirdly whenever I turned the pc off when it would freeze the rgb lights on the motherboard would stay on. Everything else turned off but the motherboard rgb stayed on.
I’m at a loss.

dennisr48

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I had a somewhat similar problem that took me months to solve. I put together a gaming pc. Initially it worked fine but then I experienced hard freezing always under low load, such as watching videos. This was a complete hardware freeze that required a hard power reboot. The freeze ups continued randomly about once every 2 or 3 days. I tried every type of troubleshooting software I could run but everything seemed to check out fine. I finally tried a different brand of memory - no effect. Next I tried a different SSD. I got a Samsung 970 model 2T, cloned it and swapped out the Samsung 1T 980 Pro. After that, the freeze ups stopped. In my case, it seemed clear that the cause of the problem was the Samsung 980. Of course, there are other possibilities but your problem seemed close enough that I thought I'd share my experience. In any case, if you get desperate as I did, and you have another SSD, it might be worth cloning your OS and swapping it out to see if the SSD is the source of your problem.