[SOLVED] PC Build Help/Advice

WhiteChaos69

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hello! I am looking to build a PC by myself but i'd like some advice from more people. I will be buying the CPU/GPU from my friend since he's also upgrading his PC so i'd you guys to leave those as they are.
This is what i have so far:
CPU: i7-8086K
GPU: GTX 1080 TI ROG STRIX

I would like to know if my CPU supports 3666 mhz ram or what do you guys suggest getting for this. Looking forward to seeing you guys complete this setup for me and take into consideration that i also want a full tower case, not a mid and some RGB included in the build, like the RAM for example. I really don't know what motherboard to get for the cpu and what PSU works good for this combination + RGB + liquid cooling. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello WhiteChaos69,

First of all, I searched the Intel website, and it says that your CPU supports 2666MHz RAM.
As far as the other parts, I recommend
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2666MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
CPU: Intel i7-8086K
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Rog Strix
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 Drive, Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 850W

I've created a PCPartPicker list in this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbpjL2

Note: I am not certain if these parts are fully compatible and everything fits correctly, if not, consult someone else.
Apr 6, 2020
Hello WhiteChaos69,

First of all, I searched the Intel website, and it says that your CPU supports 2666MHz RAM.

I've created a PCPartPicker list in this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbpjL2

Note: I am not certain if these parts are fully compatible and everything fits correctly, if not, consult someone else.

Solution
That is an outstanding combination of cpu and gpu.

You will need a Z370 or Z390 based motherboard to get full capability out of the 8086K processor.
I have no preference for brands. You do not need an expensive enthusiast motherboard designed for ln2 cooling.

On ram, first buy the capacity you need. I might suggest a 2 x 8gb kit.
Speed is not important to intel processors. Something like 3000 speed is fine.
At equal speeds, lower latencies are better.

Cases are a personal thing. Looks count so buy what you love.
Bust your budget if you have to since you will be looking at it for a long time.
Look for a case with good front intake capability.
Two 120/140mm front intakes will give you all the cooling air you need. See that there is a easily removable and washable front filter.
That will keep your parts cleaner.
In a good case, you do not need liquid cooling.
If you have 160mm available you can buy a top end air cooler.
A twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s will cool just as well as a 240mm aio liquid cooler.
It will be cheaper, quieter, more reliable, easier to mount,
requires no maintenance, and..... it will not leak.

Personally, I could care less about RGB, but that is just me.

A good example might be a NZXT H500i
https://www.newegg.com/matte-white-black-nzxt-h500i-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811146285
I would put two 140mm fans as intakes in front.

Buy only a quality power supply. 650w is sufficient, but nothing wrong with 750w.
A psu will only use what is demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Seasonic is always good. Here is a 750w gold rated unit with 10 year warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187

WhiteChaos69

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hello WhiteChaos69,

I'm pretty sure the cpu supports more than that ram. My friend currently uses 3000mhz ram on it, that's why i was asking here. Thank you a lot for the build!

FWIW, the motherboard spec for ram support is the max speed at which the motherboard will boot into the bios.
Once there, one can use XMP profiles to overclock the ram to higher speeds.
Better quality ram can be overclocked higher and commands a commensurate price premium.
The max overclocked ram capability will be determined by the motherboard.