[SOLVED] PC Build Help! PC will not turn off with power button or display anything on monitor!

Sep 5, 2021
Hello Everyone!
So this is kind of a weird situation for my friend but he has a built PC that has had quite a few problems. The main one we are running into right now is that it is not displaying anything on his monitor. For some context we have it built right now with an EVGA 2080ti Kingpin, but it is showing a lot of horizontal lines across his home screen so we figured this might be a faulty GPU and decided to get just an old GPU to try and test out the system with a different card. We got a cheap Zotac 1030 Low Profile as the test GPU. However when we plug in the Zotac GPU his monitor will not display anything, just gives a no signal and his PC will not turn off with the power button, even though it powers up fine. Everything is being displayed through HDMI and he has tried new cables as well! It is weird because when he plugged in the 2080ti again, we got signal and could power on/off the pc just like normal, but not with the 1030. I am sort of stuck right now and not sure what to do.
Also, for some more background he had it prebuilt but we needed to replace his PSU because it was a Gigabyte P750GM which just had a recall so we replaced it with a Corsair RM1000x. Could there be a possibility that his motherboard was fried from this old PSU which is why he is having so many problems with the GPU as well? Thank you for any advice we are not too tech savvy! I can try to give some more information if any is needed!
Some useful information about additional parts in his PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X
MOBO: Asus TUF X570-Plus
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
GPU (Old): EVGA GTX 2080ti Kingpin
Test GPU: Zotac 1030 Low Profile

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's possible that the Gigabyte PSU might've left a mark on the build. I'd breadboard the system with the bare minimum of hardware with the GTX2080Ti, i.e, one stick of ram, no boot drive, discrete GPU, CPU and PSU on top of a motherboard box. Short the pins for power and see if the system POSTs and you're able to get into BIOS. In fact, while breadboarded, disconnect from the wall(PSU) and monitor) and remove the CMOS battery. Replace said battery after 30 minutes and see if you get life in the system and into BIOS.

Can you list all the problems with the system? You forgot to mention the make and model of your ram(s) and the storage. CPU Cooler?

Lutfij

Titan

It's possible that the Gigabyte PSU might've left a mark on the build. I'd breadboard the system with the bare minimum of hardware with the GTX2080Ti, i.e, one stick of ram, no boot drive, discrete GPU, CPU and PSU on top of a motherboard box. Short the pins for power and see if the system POSTs and you're able to get into BIOS. In fact, while breadboarded, disconnect from the wall(PSU) and monitor) and remove the CMOS battery. Replace said battery after 30 minutes and see if you get life in the system and into BIOS.

Can you list all the problems with the system? You forgot to mention the make and model of your ram(s) and the storage. CPU Cooler?

Reactions: The Great Nothing
Solution
Sep 5, 2021

Gotcha! Will try to give that a shot, my friend is currently in the military so I will try to instruct him this when he gets the chance, but to finish the specs, I found:

CPU Cooler: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

Storage (Primary): 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Storage (Secondary): 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

I think one of the main problems here also is that he bought this prebuilt from Cyberpower so that's never gonna happen again. Nonetheless, the main problems experienced are:

With the 2080ti in place: Monitor will display a lot of horizontal white lines across the top of the screen and in the device manage it gives an error code 43. Additionally, games will not launch as it states we do not have the correct drivers installed, however we have tried to unistall/re-install all drivers for the gpu using DDU and the correct drivers from the Nvidia website. We have also tried moving it down to the second PCI-E slot, but still the same problem. When he drags the mouse over the white horizontal lines, they disappear and reappear in different areas of the screen as well.

With the 1030 in place: Monitor will not display anything and power button on PC will not shut down the computer even though it works to turn the computer ON.