[SOLVED] PC build help - storage balance, ssd and hdd

kesomon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
Hello. Building a new PC, and having problems with the storage calculations. I know that my current PC runs completely on HDD (with periodic file backups to an external 500gb drive), that I have 89gb out of 297 used since I made the build in 2013, and that I want my new PC to run more graphically intensive games with larger amounts of dlc without crashing.

If I wanted to split my storage capacity between an SSD and a HDD, what would the recommended balance of capacity be? IE: a ssd of X-gb for certain things and a hhd of Y-gb for bulk storage. I'm not sure if I need more than 500gb total storage, given my current capacity use, but if I had 1tb, would I want to split it between the two modes by a certain percentage (40/60, 50/50, 30/70) or keep it all as one type of storage?

EDIT: I feel as though I am forgetting about something when I look at my storage numbers, like what if storage depends on X component in the hardware that I've missed.

not sure I'm making sense. Advice if able, please and thank you?

Solution
Capacity is all on you.

SSD for the OS and applications, other drives for other stuff. Games, personal data, etc.

If you only need "500gb total storage ", then get a single 1TB SSD, of whatever type is compatible with your motherboard.

And don't partition that single drive into pieces. Leave it as one large thing.

USAFRet

Titan
Capacity is all on you.

SSD for the OS and applications, other drives for other stuff. Games, personal data, etc.

If you only need "500gb total storage ", then get a single 1TB SSD, of whatever type is compatible with your motherboard.

And don't partition that single drive into pieces. Leave it as one large thing.

Reactions: kesomon
Solution