Question Pc build help

Mar 2, 2020
Hello all, Just have a few questions for when I build my first PC after lockdown ends. I have someone helping me but I haven’t bought any parts yet. Specs (subject to change):
I5-3570 (maybe S if I don’t have enough money)
GTX 770 (if I don’t have enough money I’ll get 2gb instead of 4gb)
8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram (dual-channel)
Seagate barracuda 7200.12 500gb (maybe X2 or I might just get a better hdd)
DVDRW drive
Biostar H61MGV3 7.9 motherboard
Windows XP + Windows 7/10 (dual boot).
I am on an EXTREME budget and trying to get parts which support both systems is difficult. Maximum is about £220 but I may be able to borrow some.
So my first question is which OS, Windows 7 or Windows 10. I much prefer Windows 7 as I grew up with it, but I do have game pass ultimate so that would help Windows 10’s case. My main defining factor is game compatibility. I don’t know if Windows 10 runs vista era games, like far cry 2, crysis, and onwards. I don’t think they have safe disc as they released after 2007 but I don’t know. Games with safe disc and securom is what XP is for. Otherwise anything I should know about differences between Windows 7 and 10 I’d gladly appreciate.
Second question is any recommendations with my build or for games? I’m open to suggestions just remember the very tight budget and something that doesn’t bottleneck anything. I like most games and I’d love to find some good ones.
I think that’s all but I don’t remember. I’ll post more if I remember anything. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance. P.S: Though I do appreciate suggestions, I will not be changing OS other than what I have already said. I am perfectly happy with the system so far and just want some suggestions, not being told it’s rubbish and I’m not a true gamer or anything like that. Don’t mean to be rude and I doubt anyone would say that but I have had it in the past. :)

Windows 10.

Please post the prices you're expecting to pay for the list you've selected. That makes this easier on everyone else when we're searching ebay.

Just an FYI, if you get an i7-3770 (non-K) you can actually OC it to 4.1GHz all-core (or 4.3GHz for 1-2 cores loaded) if you have a Z series mobo.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Mar 2, 2020
Windows 10.

Please post the prices you're expecting to pay for the list you've selected. That makes this easier on everyone else when we're searching ebay.

Just an FYI, if you get an i7-3770 (non-K) you can actually OC it to 4.1GHz all-core (or 4.3GHz for 1-2 cores loaded) if you have a Z series mobo.
I5 3570 is £25
GTX 770 2gb is £50 (4gb is now out of stock)
Ram is £12
WD caviar black 500gb is £10 (better than previous HDD)
Windows XP is £7 with disc and license
Windows 10 pro is £2-4 for key
Windows 7 is £10
Thanks for the advice about Windows 10 and with the I7 but it’s WAY out of my price range unfortunately at £65! An upgrade for the future though certainly.
Edit: I still need to find a case and power supply but fans, cpu cooler and dvd drive cost £6 each, £8-10 and £5-12 respectively.

That's only adding up to £136, so you've got some wiggle room yet!

Gotta be careful with the PSU choice. Even though you're not spending much on the system doesn't mean you want to fry it all.

What mobo did you have in mind? FYI, the i5-3570 can be OC'd also if you have a Z series mobo.

Mar 2, 2020
I5 3570 is £25
GTX 770 2gb is £50 (4gb is now out of stock)
Ram is £12
WD caviar black 500gb is £10 (better than previous HDD)
Windows XP is £7 with disc and license
Windows 10 pro is £2-4 for key
Windows 7 is £10
Thanks for the advice about Windows 10 and with the I7 but it’s WAY out of my price range unfortunately at £65! An upgrade for the future though certainly.
That's only adding up to £136, so you've got some wiggle room yet!

Gotta be careful with the PSU choice. Even though you're not spending much on the system doesn't mean you want to fry it all.

What mobo did you have in mind? FYI, the i5-3570 can be OC'd also if you have a Z series mobo.
I found a pretty good Corsair psu for about £40. The Z68 motherboard is about £40 more than the current one I was looking at buying, a biostar H61. Honestly no offence here but I don’t intend to overclock while I’m working with older components that have probably got limited lifespans anyway.

Mar 2, 2020
Hey! None taken! I was only trying to maximize performance at minimal cost.

I'd seen some Gigabyte Z77 boards for 50-60 pounds on Ebay. That's why I asked.
Unfortunately I can’t use 70 series boards as they don’t support XP fully. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been rather busy. Considering getting a 780 ti if I can persuade my parents to lend me more lol.