[SOLVED] PC build help

May 6, 2020
Hey guys, not long ago i started looking up a lot about PC components and builds and I ran into a problem. I want to get:
RTX 2060 super 8gb (not sure how to choose the right one, msi, zotac, etc. need help with this too)
i5 9600k or 9600kf
16gb of ram 3000MHZ (LPX corsair vengeance cl16 or hyperx fury 16gb, but corsair seems to be faster and I read that this is important for the CPU)
256gb samsung NVme ssd
z390 MBO (this too I do not know which one I should get, from which manufacturer)
And now comes the monitor. I asked the tech guy in my town, and he told me if I get this build I'd need to get a UHD monitor since there will be a 40% bottleneck if I don't. By the way, I want to play games on a competitive level and I'd need a 144Hz monitor atleast, but on the other hand I want to enjoy new releases on ultra settings, so I run into a problem here and I can't decide which one I should choose. I'm sorry if I missed a selected topic, but I'm kinda new to all of this and I'm processing a lot of information atm so I hope I can get some help guys, thanks in advance :D

Solution
Okay, so, you think 5 3600 is better option even than the 10600k? Also, is the cooler that comes with the ryzen processor good? Because if it is, that would save my budget and I'm thinking about even expanding the budget to go for a RTX 2070 super, but then again I'd have to opt for another monitor with GSync and they are more expensive.. I don't know man, I'm rly sceptical and scared about 5700 XT drivers... I'm going to be buying my pc mid july, so i can wait a little longer. Regardin the MBO, I've seen a couple of reviews and read comments, and I see people praising B450 Tomahawk a lot and since I'm probably not going to be upgrading my PC/CPU for the next 5 years probably, I think other MBO's are negligible, if the price is not...
Your "tech guy" is either an idiot or trying to sell you expensive parts you don't need, because an RTX 2060 anything(Super or non-super) will not run games at 4K, at least not demanding ones. If you play like CS GO or Dota 2 then sure but if you play AAA games, or you think you might do so in the future, I'd say stick with 1080p 144 Hz, the RTX 2060 can give you 144 FPS on almost all eSports/competitive games, and you can play at 60 FPS for demanding AAA titles. I won't go over 1080p with that GPU. Another word of warning, even an RTX 2060 Super will not run the latest demanding games at ultra settings, at least not all of them, and not at a constant 60 FPS. You can expect it to do so at high settings, maybe very high in some games, but a lot of games have massive performance drops when switching from very high to ultra, so in such games you'll have to make do with high/very high.

As for which card, you can go with any trusted manufacturer, and like mentioned already, go with one that has at least 2 fans, and don't go with the absolute cheapest. Other than that, the performance difference is negligible, only difference is cooler design, looks, bells and whistles. You could also buy from a manufacturer whose service center is closest to you, in case you have issues.

For the motherboard, almost the same rules as the GPU - just don't buy the absolute cheapo ones, get any midrange option, watch a detailed review to make sure it doesn't have any serious flaws, that's pretty much it.

Just an afterthought : If you haven't bought anything yet, consider going with Ryzen instead, or at least wait for Intel 10th gen, because i5's in 10th gen have hyperthreading, which will help out a LOT in many AAA games, both current and upcoming. A 6 core 6 thread processor might see stuttering issues, frame drops, etc. in modern AAA games, as some of these can use up to 8-10 threads on single player and even 12 threads on multiplayer.

May 6, 2020
Your "tech guy" is either an idiot or trying to sell you expensive parts you don't need, because an RTX 2060 anything(Super or non-super) will not run games at 4K, at least not demanding ones. If you play like CS GO or Dota 2 then sure but if you play AAA games, or you think you might do so in the future, I'd say stick with 1080p 144 Hz, the RTX 2060 can give you 144 FPS on almost all eSports/competitive games, and you can play at 60 FPS for demanding AAA titles. I won't go over 1080p with that GPU. Another word of warning, even an RTX 2060 Super will not run the latest demanding games at ultra settings, at least not all of them, and not at a constant 60 FPS. You can expect it to do so at high settings, maybe very high in some games, but a lot of games have massive performance drops when switching from very high to ultra, so in such games you'll have to make do with high/very high.

As for which card, you can go with any trusted manufacturer, and like mentioned already, go with one that has at least 2 fans, and don't go with the absolute cheapest. Other than that, the performance difference is negligible, only difference is cooler design, looks, bells and whistles. You could also buy from a manufacturer whose service center is closest to you, in case you have issues.

For the motherboard, almost the same rules as the GPU - just don't buy the absolute cheapo ones, get any midrange option, watch a detailed review to make sure it doesn't have any serious flaws, that's pretty much it.

Just an afterthought : If you haven't bought anything yet, consider going with Ryzen instead, or at least wait for Intel 10th gen, because i5's in 10th gen have hyperthreading, which will help out a LOT in many AAA games, both current and upcoming. A 6 core 6 thread processor might see stuttering issues, frame drops, etc. in modern AAA games, as some of these can use up to 8-10 threads on single player and even 12 threads on multiplayer.
Hello there, i am sorry for responding too late, ive been busy. First of all, thank you so much for this response, that's exactly what I needed to learn & hear about refresh rate and settings for this specific card. However, after doing some research, I am now thinking about switching to Ryzen 5 3600 since it even goes on par with new 10th gen intel i5 10600k + I'd get a cooler with the ryzen one and I'd save money there. One more thing I am considering is switching to RX 5700 XT, but I saw a lot of people complaining about drivers with this one. Also, I'd have to get a newer and more expensive motherboard for 10600k so I rly don't know which one to choose... What do you think about this? Maybe, ryzen 5 3600 + radeon 5700 xt/2060 super, or combination with 10600k. (I also ran into a Lenovo Legion 144hz 1ms tn monitor which is very affordable to me and it has FreeSync so 5700 xt would be better there). Thank you so much again, and sorry for replying this late :)

Hello there, i am sorry for responding too late, ive been busy. First of all, thank you so much for this response, that's exactly what I needed to learn & hear about refresh rate and settings for this specific card. However, after doing some research, I am now thinking about switching to Ryzen 5 3600 since it even goes on par with new 10th gen intel i5 10600k + I'd get a cooler with the ryzen one and I'd save money there. One more thing I am considering is switching to RX 5700 XT, but I saw a lot of people complaining about drivers with this one. Also, I'd have to get a newer and more expensive motherboard for 10600k so I rly don't know which one to choose... What do you think about this? Maybe, ryzen 5 3600 + radeon 5700 xt/2060 super, or combination with 10600k. (I also ran into a Lenovo Legion 144hz 1ms tn monitor which is very affordable to me and it has FreeSync so 5700 xt would be better there). Thank you so much again, and sorry for replying this late :)
I would also lean towards the Ryzen 3600 and 5700 XT combination, but if you can wait, then wait till you can get your hands on a B550 motherboard. They will ensure support for future generation of Ryzen, but if you buy a B450/X470 board, you will not be able to upgrade the CPU to a newer generation. If you have the money, you could go with an X570 board as well, they will also support future generations, but are overkill for an Ryzen 5 3600 and are expensive. Not sure when B550 will launch, maybe halfway through second half of 2020.

The issues with the drivers of 5700 XT have, as far as I know, been somewhat fixed. There were a lot of issues, but I think most of them have been addressed at this point and it's a safe option now. So you can definitely go for the 5700 XT and the 1080p 144 Hz display.

Edit: Sorry, B550 is apparently launching on June 16. Not too long of a wait, I would definitely say it's worth it.

May 6, 2020
I would also lean towards the Ryzen 3600 and 5700 XT combination, but if you can wait, then wait till you can get your hands on a B550 motherboard. They will ensure support for future generation of Ryzen, but if you buy a B450/X470 board, you will not be able to upgrade the CPU to a newer generation. If you have the money, you could go with an X570 board as well, they will also support future generations, but are overkill for an Ryzen 5 3600 and are expensive. Not sure when B550 will launch, maybe halfway through second half of 2020.

The issues with the drivers of 5700 XT have, as far as I know, been somewhat fixed. There were a lot of issues, but I think most of them have been addressed at this point and it's a safe option now. So you can definitely go for the 5700 XT and the 1080p 144 Hz display.

Edit: Sorry, B550 is apparently launching on June 16. Not too long of a wait, I would definitely say it's worth it.
Okay, so, you think 5 3600 is better option even than the 10600k? Also, is the cooler that comes with the ryzen processor good? Because if it is, that would save my budget and I'm thinking about even expanding the budget to go for a RTX 2070 super, but then again I'd have to opt for another monitor with GSync and they are more expensive.. I don't know man, I'm rly sceptical and scared about 5700 XT drivers... I'm going to be buying my pc mid july, so i can wait a little longer. Regardin the MBO, I've seen a couple of reviews and read comments, and I see people praising B450 Tomahawk a lot and since I'm probably not going to be upgrading my PC/CPU for the next 5 years probably, I think other MBO's are negligible, if the price is not so much different with the B550 that's going to come out in a month, then okay, but otherwise, I'd stick with a B450 Tomawahk.

Okay, so, you think 5 3600 is better option even than the 10600k? Also, is the cooler that comes with the ryzen processor good? Because if it is, that would save my budget and I'm thinking about even expanding the budget to go for a RTX 2070 super, but then again I'd have to opt for another monitor with GSync and they are more expensive.. I don't know man, I'm rly sceptical and scared about 5700 XT drivers... I'm going to be buying my pc mid july, so i can wait a little longer. Regardin the MBO, I've seen a couple of reviews and read comments, and I see people praising B450 Tomahawk a lot and since I'm probably not going to be upgrading my PC/CPU for the next 5 years probably, I think other MBO's are negligible, if the price is not so much different with the B550 that's going to come out in a month, then okay, but otherwise, I'd stick with a B450 Tomawahk.
Honestly, if you won't be upgrading for the next 5 years, I would say go with the 10600K. It'll most probably be faster than the 3600, and 5 years down the line, you'll have to change your motherboard regardless of whether you have Intel or AMD(most probably). The 10600K will run at higher FPS(by a slight margin) than the 3600, which is something you want at 144 Hz. You'll unfortunately have to buy an aftermarket cooler, but if you don't overclock much, then a cheap one will suffice as well, but for overclocking you'd want a good cooler.

If you want to overclock, you'll also need an expensive Z-series motherboard, otherwise you can go for a B-series board. I would recommend going with Z490 because you'll need the extra speed for 144 Hz. A mid range air cooler or entry level AIO should be enough for cooling.

It's not necessary to go for a G-Sync monitor if you have an Nvidia card - Nvidia has something called G-sync compatible which lets you use G-sync on Nvidia GPUs with Freesync monitors. Now, it doesn't work on all monitors, but Nvidia has a list of monitors on which it is definitely supported, and there are others as well on which it works but Nvidia hasn't tested them yet so they aren't on the list. You could pick a Freesync monitor that is on Nvidia's list of G-sync compatible monitors, present on this link - https://www.nvidia.com/en-in/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ (Just select G-sync compatible in the filter).

Here's a good choice - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FZJkcf/acer-xf240h-240-144hz-monitor-umfx0aa001

It's 1080p 144 Hz and is on the list of G-sync compatible monitors, so you'll have a $200 G-sync monitor.

Solution