[SOLVED] Pc build help

Dec 20, 2021
Hi!

Im still planning on buying my first custom pc, i have been searching for a while now
I have a few other post with some other specs, but i think imma go with this one.

• New PC Build:
- Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4
- CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K
- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2
- GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MASTER
- Ram: G.Skill TridentZ Neo Series - 64GB: 2x32GB - DDR4 - 3600MHz
- PC Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan MF120
- Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB SSD
- PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold 850W
- Case: Lian Li O11 Mini

• Questions:
- If i buy all of the componenets, would i need to buy something else? like cables, or something for the cpu cooler. Anything?
- would my components fitt in the case? If not any tips to another?
- Anything else i should know about?

Thanks alot for all the help :)

Last edited:
Solution
Love the case.
Lian li is top quality.
I see one potential issue, the X63 kraken.
I looked at a newegg review, and it indicates that the cooler does not come with a proper lga1700 mount and it must be ordered separately.
Unfortunately, that might be delayed.
https://www.newegg.com/nzxt-liquid-cooling-system-kraken-x63-rgb/p/N82E16835146074

Past that, I do not like to use a aio cooler when a good air cooler will do the job.
A 280 aio like the X63 has two 140mm size radiators.
That is about what a Noctua NH-D15s has with twin towers so the cooling capability will be similar.
The main difference is where the heat exchange tales place.

Mounting an aio is a catch 22 situation.
If you mount the radiator taking in cool outside air...
Love the case.
Lian li is top quality.
I looked at a newegg review, and it indicates that the cooler does not come with a proper lga1700 mount and it must be ordered separately.
https://www.newegg.com/nzxt-liquid-cooling-system-kraken-x63-rgb/p/N82E16835146074

Past that, I do not like to use a aio cooler when a good air cooler will do the job.
That is about what a Noctua NH-D15s has with twin towers so the cooling capability will be similar.

If you mount the radiator taking in cool outside air, your cpu will be cooled best.
But, the hot radiator air will be used to cool the graphics card and the motherboard vrm coolers.
OTOH, if you mount the radiator as exhaust, the cpu will not be cooled best.

I find the NH-D15s to be entirely suitable as a cooler for the 12900k so long as you have two 140mm intakes.
Noctua makes very good 140mm fans, you would need 2, as well as a single 120mm rear exhaust.
The main purpose of the 120mm rear exhaust is to direct cooling airflow over the motherboard, cpu cooler and graphics card.
The noctua fans are quiet.

I say NH-D15s, and not NH-D15 because the s will clear your ram heat spreaders while the D15 will not.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001M2
New stock will include lga1700 mounting. The chromax black units should have the mount included.
Noctua is very good about promptly shipping the lga1700 mount if, you happen to get a unit without the mount.

AIO coolers do not last forever. In time air intrudes and they must be replaced.
Lastly, air will never leak.

I might ask if you really need 64gb of ram?
Just gaming is ok with 16gb, if you are multitasking, 32gb should be sufficient to hold all of the active tasks.

Other than peripherals, and windows,I see nothing else you need to order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Fowler
Solution
Dec 20, 2021
Love the case.
Lian li is top quality.

If you mount the radiator taking in cool outside air, your cpu will be cooled best.
But, the hot radiator air will be used to cool the graphics card and the motherboard vrm coolers.
OTOH, if you mount the radiator as exhaust, the cpu will not be cooled best.

I find the NH-D15s to be entirely suitable as a cooler for the 12900k so long as you have two 140mm intakes.
Noctua makes very good 140mm fans, you would need 2, as well as a single 120mm rear exhaust.
The main purpose of the 120mm rear exhaust is to direct cooling airflow over the motherboard, cpu cooler and graphics card.
The noctua fans are quiet.

I say NH-D15s, and not NH-D15 because the s will clear your ram heat spreaders while the D15 will not.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001M2
New stock will include lga1700 mounting. The chromax black units should have the mount included.
Noctua is very good about promptly shipping the lga1700 mount if, you happen to get a unit without the mount.

AIO coolers do not last forever. In time air intrudes and they must be replaced.
Lastly, air will never leak.

I might ask if you really need 64gb of ram?
Just gaming is ok with 16gb, if you are multitasking, 32gb should be sufficient to hold all of the active tasks.

Other than peripherals, and windows,I see nothing else you need to order.
Hi Geofelt, thanks for that amazing feedback loved it!

I accidentally typed the wrong cpu cooler, i meant "Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2"
I should also have mentioned, i go for aesthetic as well, so an cpu cooler (not air) is a must with RGB. Just a personal preference
Would the new mentioned cpu cooler be alright for this build?

Also a good thing to mention, is i dont look for the best componenets or anything that will make my build THE BEST.
Just something great and simple yet in my budget as well as looking good (without any problems)
Do you have any opinion on the new cooler?

About my ram, i am a engine developer so beside rendering, light data and etc i have some background programs running in the back, so 64 is a must :)

Thanks in advanced, really appricated it

All right, yes.
My issue is with small aio coolers in general, vs a good air cooler.
Why put up with more noise, a more complicated install, less reliability, less longevity, and the risk of fluid leak?
When, a good air cooler will cool equally well.
The best argument for an aio I have heard was from a fellow who wanted RGB Bling.
I have no answer for that.
If you use a 360 aio, you could, in theory cool your 12900K better.
But there would need to be a compromise.
If you mounted a aio on the bottom, the cpu would be cooled best, but at the expense of cooling your graphics card and motherboard.
If you mounted it on top, the graphics card and motherboard would do well, but the radiator will use warmed air an not cool the cpu as well.
Catch 22.

In my simple minded testing running cpu-z stress test the cpu topped out at perhaps 95c.
That was with a room temperature of 24c.
This is with a Noctua NH-D15s and two noctua 140mm front intakes running at about 800 rpm and the cpu fan running at 1500 rpm.
Unless you can load all 24 threads, you will not even get that.

The 12900K is crazy fast. It is really more than I need, but I had the funds and like the everyday quickness.
I have no regrets in buying the best.
I think I would have always had some regrets if I had saved some money andbought a lesser processor.

I would have no issue with 64gb of ram other than the cost if you do not need it.
Windows keeps unused code in ram in anticipation of quick reuse.

Last edited: