PC build, may i have your opinion?

fjanisze

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Hello All,

First a short introduction: My home computer computed his last bit a couple of days ago, thus I need to build up a replacement. I'm an occasional gamer (I'm dont want to OC), mainly I use the computer for work which means i would prefer good computational capabilities (and fast disk access) to a performing gaming machine.

I will buy my setup in two phases, mainly for financial reason :) The first phase includes:

• Intel Core i7-4790 3,6 GHz 8MB cache s. 1150 Box.
    be quiet! SHADOW ROCK 2
    Asus H87-PRO s.1150.
    DDR3 KINGSTON 8 GB / 1600, CL9, HyperX Genesis
    Samsung 120GB SSD840 SATAIII MZ-7TE120BW EVO 7mm 2.5''.
    BEQUIET PurePower L8 - 630 W, PFC, 25 dB
    CORSAIR CARBIDE 200R ATX, USB 3.0
    ASUS PCE-N53 PCI-E, Wi-Fi b/g/n, 300 Mb/s, Dual Band (I can't have the cable in my home-office)

As you can see the graphic card is missing and there's no HD. In the second phase I would like to buy:

• MSI GF GTX 760 2048 MB DDR5, 256 bit (or 770?)
    WD 1 TB, 64 MB, 7200 obr., 3.5", SATA3, WD Black
    Samsung 120GB SSD840 SATAIII MZ-7TE120BW EVO 7mm 2.5''. (A second one, i need two since i use two OS [No, i prefer to not split a 250GiB in two partitions])
    DDR3 KINGSTON 8 GB / 1600, CL9, HyperX Genesis

Well, from what i was able to read from the web, all the components look to fit together, but since this is not my field or expertise i would like to have your opinion or/and advice.

Two points in particular makes me a little unconfortable, the motherboard and the 630W power supply. The first because i saw hundreds of MB and i have no idea on which i may pick, perhaps the one i choose may be not adequate, and for the second i'm not sure whether 630W are enought to fulfill the energetic needs of the GTX and the i7.

Thanks all for the attention!

Solution
Your plan will work.

I might see if I could buy all the ram in one kit up front.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

A 630w psu will be sufficient to power a card as good as a GTX780. You are good there.

June 25 will bring the availability of the i7-4790K.
It will cost marginally more than the 4770.
But, at stock, it is considerably faster(4.0/4.4 turbo)
Use a Z97 motherboard with...

radekmm

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
save a little bit on the cpu. i recommend getting an xeon e3-1230v3, bcuz it is basically an i7 4770 without igpu. and i recommend getting an r9 290 with custom coolers, as they are very good priced now, and get a 512gb ssd

bignastyid

Titan
Looks ok. Motherboard is good. The psu is not great but not horrible either, but for what it costs(atleast in the US) there are usually better options. The GPU is ok, but for what a 760 costs you can usually get a r9-280 or 280x which will be faster and have an extra Gb of vram for some of the newer game(like Watchdogs that uses alot of vram).

Your plan will work.

I might see if I could buy all the ram in one kit up front.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

A 630w psu will be sufficient to power a card as good as a GTX780. You are good there.

June 25 will bring the availability of the i7-4790K.
It will cost marginally more than the 4770.
But, at stock, it is considerably faster(4.0/4.4 turbo)
Use a Z97 motherboard with it. That will give you the option to use the "K" capability to gain another 20% cpu capability.
In addition, a Z97 based motherboard will preserve your option for a upgrade to 14nm broadwell in the future.

Any Z97 based motherboard will do the job. Some come with integrated wifi, obviating the need for a discrete wifi card.
Here is an example of a small ITX Z97 motherboard for $120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128720
ITX is interesting if you value small cases.

Solution

fjanisze

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for your comment, i will pick all the 16 Gigs of ram together.

About the CPU the date of 25th of june for which country is valid? I'm from Poland, and here "availability" most probably means a couple of months delay :) So i think i will pick the Xeon e3-1231v3, which looks a reasonable CPU, expecially from the point of view of the price compared to the performance. What do you think?

I have also another question, i got the suggestion to MSI card for a Gainward GF GTX760 4096MB 256bit, the reason is for the 4 Gigs of RAM. Is worth to spent 50Eur more for 2 additional Gigs?

I do not know what availability of 4790K would be in Poland. Sorry.
4770K is almost equally good. The main benefit of the 4790K is the guaranteed 4.0 starting clock and a possible higher upper limit of overclocking due to better thermals.
Any 4770K should have no problem with 4.0

Your plan for a two stage will not work, with the Xeon. It needs a discrete graphics card where the 4770K includes one.
Also, the "K" will allow you to raise the multiplier past what the xeon will give you.

As to graphics card vram, it is a performance issue, not a functional issue.
But the performance benefits of 4g vs 2gb seem to be small and not worth the cost
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/

TRENDING THREADS