Question PC build no POST no beeps

Oct 18, 2019
Hi, currently working on my first ever PC build but can't get it to POST would greatly appreciate any help.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
ASRock b450 pro4 motherboard
Corsair VS550 powersupply
ASRock radeon RX580 graphics
Hyperx fury 2 x 8gb RAM
WD green M.2 SSD

I put in a diagnostic speaker and did some breadboarding.

1. CPU, motherboard, No RAM no Graphics card, no storage = No beeps but fans running, slowing down and speeding up again.

2. Add in 1 stick of ram in any slot = 5 short beeps

3. Add in second stick of ram = 5 short beeps

4. Add in graphics card in highest 1st PCIE spot long enough for it= no beeps, fans running at constant speed.

5. Graphics card moved to other long PICE slot = 5 short beeps

Any ideas what might be wrong? What should my next steps be?

Depending on where I look people say 5 beeps means anything from CPU issue, motherboard, RAM or graphics card issue.

Same for zero beeps.

Thanks!

Addendum: I already went through the checklist on the forum for POST failure and i already reset the CMOS

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does the motherboard manual say anything about the 5 beeps? The beep codes may vary slightly between manufacturers, so 5 beeps could indeed mean any one or more of the issues already listed.
To my knowledge, 5 beeps means gpu issue to me as well. Where'd you get the gpu from?

Oct 18, 2019
Does the motherboard manual say anything about the 5 beeps? The beep codes may vary slightly between manufacturers, so 5 beeps could indeed mean any one or more of the issues already listed.
To my knowledge, 5 beeps means gpu issue to me as well. Where'd you get the gpu from?

The motherboard manual that came with the box has hardly anything in it - its the quick installation guide, i'll do some more reading to see if there's somthing more complete online.

I bought the GPU brand new, it does seem strange to me that it beeps when the GPU is not connected but has no beeps when it is connected

Oct 18, 2019
I checked the full manual online and it doesn't cover the error codes however it says it runs AMIBIOS and looking that up shows 5 beeps means "Processor failure". Doing a bit more research on this though shows that processor failure can be caused by anything from CPU to GPU to motherboard to power supply haha.

Thinking a bit more on the breadboarding results, the fact it didn't beep at all and had weird fan antics without the GPU and without ram (when i've read it should beep 2 or 3 times) to show RAM error, this must narrow down the problem to my motherboard, CPU or power supply.