PC Build Overview and Suggestions

mrkuddled

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I have put together a list of pc parts for an upcoming build. I plan on upgrading from an older pc with an fx 6300 and a gtx 750ti. My budget is less than $1000. I am looking for feedback on changes i should make and any suggestions you might have. Also, would it be better for me to go with the current motherboard or should i use a micro atx motherboard to save costs?

Here is the parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrkuddles/saved/#view=KVfrHx

Thanks

mrkuddled

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I am also considering the Asus Dual GTX 1070 to match the white of the case and because it will save me a few dollars.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
My only feedback is there's no reason a $1000 build should be missing an SSD. The difference in performance to an HDD is so large, I'd sacrifice a lot to get that SSD. drop down to an i5-6500, get rid of 1TB drive, use the stock cooler, just do whatever you need to do to get a 240GB SSD in there and install your OS and apps on it- we're only talking like $75 or so.

I have no problem with a M-ATX motherboard.
But, looking at your build, you really should buy a Z170 based motherboard so you can overclock the K.
You can easily get a 30% overclock.

On the ssd, I suggest Samsung evo as faster and more reliable.
Also, 120gb is too small.
Buy a 240gb ssd and defer on the hard drive until you actually need storage space.

On planning for dual gpu, I would not.
You would need a more expensive ATX sli capable motherboard and a psu in the 700w range.
And...evga is only a tier 3 unit anyway, I think you can do better, but not at $29.
Whenever time comes that you want more graphics, sell your current card in favor of a single strong card.

mrkuddled

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Okay I just updated it. I also wanted to mention that the HDD was already purchased so i just have that on the list for additional storage. Please let me know what you think.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

if not overclocking then definitely. If you're not planning to overclock, you could also get aay with an i5-6600, not a K CPU