[SOLVED] PC Build Plan

for gaming and some streaming would you say I should get the 3600 and 2070s or 3700x and 5700xt
Anytime you are going to stream and game at the same time, more CPU cores helps out a lot. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326.html The 3600 performs about equal to a stock 8700K so that would be the bare minimum Ryzen to get. The 3700X with the extra cores and clock speed will help with the minimum frame rates though.

The 2070S is only about 5% faster than the 5700XT, but costs 25% more money so in my opinion it isn't worth the money.

Agree with jeremyj_83.

The 3700x is the better cpu for streaming and gaming.

I have a 2070S and in hindsight could have saved a quite a bit with the 5700xt.

The only thing the 2070S has over the 5700xt is ray tracing. Turn RT on and watch the FPS drop for a little bit of extra eye candy. Not bashing the 2070, it just "is what it is", very nice gpu but expensive.

Reactions: laptop-Tech
if you can get a usb wifi adapter insaid of a wifi MBD
I would not recommend a USB WiFi adapter. The best ones aren't as good as what comes on that motherboard. Plus since the WiFi card has an antenna, you will get better reception.

I personally had a USB adapter for a good while, but changed to a PCIe adapter after the USB stopped working correctly. On any desktop I will NOT go back to a USB adapter.

Reactions: GarrettL
I would not recommend a USB WiFi adapter. The best ones aren't as good as what comes on that motherboard. Plus since the WiFi card has an antenna, you will get better reception.

I personally had a USB adapter for a good while, but changed to a PCIe adapter after the USB stopped working correctly. On any desktop I will NOT go back to a USB adapter.

The Asus TUF WiFi is way faster than a USB WiFi dongle or powered antenna that I previously used.

Wile_E_Coyote

Commendable
Mar 4, 2020
You should also consider getting a better thermal paste. Any cooler will do better with the better grade of thermal pastes that are out now. In my day, ARCTIC SILVER was the best, but I'm sure there are better ones out there now that don't conduct electricity. I read MX-4 is even better or about the same as the Arctic Silver I swear by.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I am going to build a new pc and I am trying to lower my budget as much as I can. I was looking at my mobo the Asus TUF x570 and was wondering if I could switch it out for the B450 tomahawk max? it is only a 65w cpu so it shouldn't cause problems with the VRM's. The only concern is the ram as I plan on using high end 3600 CAS 16 ram which the motherboard could not support here is my parts list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n9gWmg

Yes go for it i run my 3700X with X370 with bad vrm's and cooling and have no problem at all. B450 Tomahawk have decent vrm's and very good vrm cooling solution i have the non max version with 3600 in my second pc and with full cpu load it goes max 30-40C while the X370 vrm's with 3700X goes 70-80C. I have the same kit but 32GB version of ram and it works fine at 3600Mhz even if gigabyte says that my motherboard support up to 3200Mhz. The neo kits are optimized for Ryzen 3000 and will probably work just fine. If a ram kit is not in the support list doesnt mean it wont work at rated speed its just not guarantee and motherboard manufacturers dont test all the ram kits that exist.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Yes go for it i run my 3700X with X370 with bad vrm's and cooling and have no problem at all. B450 Tomahawk have decent vrm's and very good vrm cooling solution i have the non max version with 3600 in my second pc and with full cpu load it goes max 30-40C while the X370 vrm's with 3700X goes 70-80C. I have the same kit but 32GB version of ram and it works fine at 3600Mhz even if gigabyte says that my motherboard support up to 3200Mhz. The neo kits are optimized for Ryzen 3000 and will probably work just fine. If a ram kit is not in the support list doesnt mean it wont work at rated speed its just not guarantee and motherboard manufacturers dont test all the ram kits that exist.
I was thinking of getting the x570 together strix board as it will match aesthetically but will it have any other advantages

I was thinking of getting the x570 together strix board as it will match aesthetically but will it have any other advantages
The selling point of the X570 is the PCI-e gen 4.0 support while B450/X470 have PCI-e 3.0. The only use of that right now are some NVME SSD's that can reach 5000mbs read speed. Only some users will notice difference with that kind of SSD's mostly for workstation PC's. If you are just a gamer you wont benefit from it. You better buy the B450 Tomahawk and invest the difference to a better GPU.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
The selling point of the X570 is the PCI-e gen 4.0 support while B450/X470 have PCI-e 3.0. The only use of that right now are some NVME SSD's that can reach 5000mbs read speed. Only some users will notice difference with that kind of SSD's mostly for workstation PC's. If you are just a gamer you wont benefit from it. You better buy the B450 Tomahawk and invest the difference to a better GPU.
alright, so since im like the CEO of budgeting I managed to fit a x570 board into my budget and a 2070 super (for the ray tracing) I am going to use the EVGA model is it a good model or is there a different one you think I should use.