PC Build question

Dainik

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Hi, I am looking at upgrading my PC, at the moment i have an i5 2500k, 16gb RAM and a GTX 1080. I am looking at upgrading to the i7 7700k. What is the best Motherboard for this CPU, I have bought the Corsair h100i liquid cooler at the moment but not sure which z270 motherboard to go for.

//Sorry just realized this should be in the Motherboard section//

Solution
It doesn't really matter which Z270 you get. You probably will not use all of the features. But you will need DDR4 RAM, so kiss that 16GB good bye. You could also go for the Ryzen said and save some money, but you will need higher clocked memory as well.

But if you truly want the 7700K, I enjoy the Gigabyte Z270 boards.
It doesn't really matter which Z270 you get. You probably will not use all of the features. But you will need DDR4 RAM, so kiss that 16GB good bye. You could also go for the Ryzen said and save some money, but you will need higher clocked memory as well.

But if you truly want the 7700K, I enjoy the Gigabyte Z270 boards.

Solution
Intel claims that the 8th Gen CPU's (expected soon) will be 30% faster than 7th gen!

On the other hand:
That's a pretty bold claim since their CPU performance has plateaued over the last several generations.
3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generations of these CPU's have NOT yielded significant gains in performance. (Just marginal increases)

Personally, I'd wait to see the benchmarks...
Other than that, If you do just get the 7700K then just get a cheap Z270 motherboard. I'd get the MSI PC Mate or other affordable choice.
(Don't go over the top on your motherboard. Just make sure it has the z270 chipset.)