PC Build Randomly Shuts Down. How to identify the cause?

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello all,

I built my PC with a lot of help from Tom's and Reddit back in 2013. The computer has had it's minor hiccups with a graphics card that needed to be sent to the manufacturer and fixed initially, but nothing else had happened.

About a year ago my computer started to shut off, with no warning. There were no blue screens or other error messages, the PC would just shut off and then restart (monitors and other things connected stay on). I usually always tend to get a message about a surge when it restarts, even though the power has not gone out in my home.

I will add some detail that might or might not be relevant. Please feel free to ask for more if needed.

At some point I lived in apartments where power outages happened, not common, not rare. I do recall 2 instances when my computer was running and an outage occurred, but the problem I described above did not happen for roughly another year after those outages.

I can't recall an instance where this issue happened while playing video games. It mostly happens while browsing. Main browser is google chrome, I tend to have lots of tabs (4-12) and youtube videos opened also the primary use of the computer is for programming, but I've noticed this happens wether I'm programming or not.

The drive holding my Windows 10 OS is an SSD of 120GB and has been full for around the same time this has happened, meaning I have not been able to do updates. I have a 1TB HDD, but I still can't install updates, since some programs/drivers cannot be moved to the HDD. Not sure if the lack of updates could be causing this.

Lastly, I have never tested the PSU or other components to test for electrical issues.

Being a college student I am not desperate to go out and buy a bunch of components, since I have a laptop I can use in the meantime, but would like to eventually get my precious build running reliably again.

Here are my build components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($187.99 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX - 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus - BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $875.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-24 12:34 EDT-0400

Solution
If your ssd is near full, windows might not be able to write to the page file when it needs to for a critical function.

You might be able to recover 8gb on your ssd by disabling hibernation and deleting the hiberfile.
Google fot the details on how to actually reclaim the space.

Buy a 240gb 850 evo, about $100 these days.
Use the Samsung ssd migration app to move hour C drive.
This may or may not fix the shut down problem, but it is a needed fix regardless.
If your ssd is near full, windows might not be able to write to the page file when it needs to for a critical function.

You might be able to recover 8gb on your ssd by disabling hibernation and deleting the hiberfile.
Google fot the details on how to actually reclaim the space.

Buy a 240gb 850 evo, about $100 these days.
Use the Samsung ssd migration app to move hour C drive.
This may or may not fix the shut down problem, but it is a needed fix regardless.

Solution

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Definitely will try this when I get home!
Had avoided buying one because of the threads talking about some sort of shortage and price hike, but I noticed WDC 500GB SSD seems pretty decent for $120 with student discount.

Considering that would be a Samsung to WD transfer would major errors occur easily? I would assume I need another SATA cable for the transfer, too? I'll read up on it, just wanted to make sure I don't screw up too badly.