[SOLVED] PC build Riddle - Need suggestions

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hey there, I am a graphic designer and animator. I mostly use Adobe Photoshop, Cinema 4d, and After Effects (even for editing). I don't really like gaming (please don't hate me) and I find it annoying that EVERY build I see online is like (2k build for 4k gaming) (best gaming PC) blah blah...

My current build is dated back to Haswell years and served me like a champ for about 5-6 years.

So, the problem is that I want to build a PC from a professional's perspective. Let me be clear ;).

This PC should:
  1. Last longer than 3 years (with some upgrades Ofc)
  2. It should be fast and
  3. It should be fast and reliable.
  4. We are looking for the best money = performance ratio.

My main questions:
  1. should I go with INTEL or AMD platform?
  2. which GPU and CPU you think will fit my needs?

Some builds I found (please tell me what you think)
INTEL CPU
a) Intel 8700k / 32gb ram / rtx 2060
b) intel 9900k / 32gb ram / gtx 1660ti

AMD CPU
a) r7 3800x / 32gb ram / rtx 2060
b) r9 3900x / 32gb ram / gtx 1660ti

Parts I already have:
  1. SSDs
  2. HDDs
  3. Case
  4. PSU (new)
  5. Noctua NH-d15 cooler (new)

I would be grateful if you could help me with this build.

Some more info about my workflow...
I usually create posters, vectors, mock-ups, banners, web-design, 15-60sec animated videos (1080p / 4k), 3d renders, 3d objects, and heavy editing.

Solution
In years gone by with Adobe software, I think there was little dispute Intel would be the obvious choice. With the Ryzen 9 3900X it's no longer so clear. The situation seems finely balanced on this particular point of consideration. And if core scaling is fairly linear in the software you use then I would say the 3900X holds the advantage.

With respect to the graphics card... as far as I'm aware the software you mention don't really have much use for raytracing, though the RTX 2060 is slighting better than the GTX 1660ti (though this is mainly gaming performance).

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
what psu and case?
total budget on the upgrade? Which country?
For best bang for the money, go for AMD.

PSU: Corsair Rmx rm 750x

CASE: Corsair 200R

I don't have a budget in my mind, I am just looking for the best performance=money ratio. i am looking for a high-performance build that will last me long. if I could give you a price range it would be between 1500-2000€

In years gone by with Adobe software, I think there was little dispute Intel would be the obvious choice. With the Ryzen 9 3900X it's no longer so clear. The situation seems finely balanced on this particular point of consideration. And if core scaling is fairly linear in the software you use then I would say the 3900X holds the advantage.

With respect to the graphics card... as far as I'm aware the software you mention don't really have much use for raytracing, though the RTX 2060 is slighting better than the GTX 1660ti (though this is mainly gaming performance).

Solution

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015

hmm, I feel that intel is the way to go, reliable and stable as always, but AMD has better performance per $. Also, I am skeptical about the GPU... I feel it's a waste of money but I also don't want to bottleneck the whole system with a low budget GPU. Also for the same price as rtx2060, I can get PNY QUADRO P2000...:rolleyes:

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Sounds like you've already made up your mind on the CPU. And likely true on the graphics card, though you didn't mention the Quadro amongst those you were considering.

I've just checked the Quadro, I thought the price tag was 2k+ but I was wrong... so the 9900k or 8700k with Quadro p2000 is a solid choice? or I should check for something else?