[SOLVED] PC Build thoughts

Oct 20, 2020
Hi guys,

This is my first post so I hope it's in the right section!

I recently aquired my brother's old gaming pc, and have made a few upgrades in the hope of getting a semi decent and up-to-date gaming rig together, to handle some fairly modern games. I am on a budget though. I've already upgraded the motherboard/CPU, and chose them as they both looked great for a budget gaming build (the Ryzen 1600 AF is pretty much the same as the 2600!).

This is what I'm dealing with at the moment:

Corsair SPEC-03 ATX Mid Tower Case
ASUS Prime B450M-A
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF with stock Wraith cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz RAM
Atrix Expert 600w PSU (only has 6-pin cable for GPU. I can see on Amazon it claims to be 6+2 pin, but I can assure you it's only 6 pin)
Kingston A400 240GB M.2 SSD + Toshiba 1TB HD
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan in the front
2x 120mm stock Corsair fans, one on the bottom, and one for exhaust
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

I'm thinking of buying the below as upgrades:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GAMING OC (Triple fan)
Corsair CV 650w PSU (need that 8-pin GPU cable)
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM for 2x 140mm intakes

I've always had an interest in computers but this is my first actual build, so I'm not 100% confident.

What do you guys think of my system so far and what I'm looking to upgrade to? Does my cooling look ok? Would a better CPU cooler be a good investment? I've done a fair bit of research and that GPU looks like the best option for that price and a good investment - I like the idea of the triple fans, but is there something better out there?
I'm on a tight budget, but am looking to build something that will last a few years.

I'm just looking for some advice and opinions on the whole thing.

Thanks guys :)

Sam

Solution
Hi guys,

I recently aquired my brother's old gaming pc, and have made a few upgrades in the hope of getting a semi decent and up-to-date gaming rig together, to handle some fairly modern games. I am on a budget though. I've already upgraded the motherboard/CPU, and chose them as they both looked great for a budget gaming build (the Ryzen 1600 AF is pretty much the same as the 2600!).

ASUS Prime B450M-A
Atrix Expert 600w PSU (only has 6-pin cable for GPU. I can see on Amazon it claims to be 6+2 pin, but I...

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hi guys,

ASUS Prime B450M-A
Atrix Expert 600w PSU (only has 6-pin cable for GPU. I can see on Amazon it claims to be 6+2 pin, but I can assure you it's only 6 pin)
Kingston A400 240GB M.2 SSD + Toshiba 1TB HD
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan in the front
2x 120mm stock Corsair fans, one on the bottom, and one for exhaust
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

I'm thinking of buying the below as upgrades:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GAMING OC (Triple fan)
Corsair CV 650w PSU (need that 8-pin GPU cable)
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM for 2x 140mm intakes

I've always had an interest in computers but this is my first actual build, so I'm not 100% confident.

What do you guys think of my system so far and what I'm looking to upgrade to? Does my cooling look ok? Would a better CPU cooler be a good investment? I've done a fair bit of research and that GPU looks like the best option for that price and a good investment - I like the idea of the triple fans, but is there something better out there?
I'm on a tight budget, but am looking to build something that will last a few years.

I'm just looking for some advice and opinions on the whole thing.

Thanks guys :)

Sam
Looks good, dont take me as a computer engineer as ive only built my own one but yeah it looks good.

If you had interest in the idea, i would recommend the ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 as another upgrade. I had the ryzen 5 1600af and upgrading to 3600 was one of the best upgrades of my life, the 1600af will bottleneck you in some games i believe as i had that problem.

Solution
Oct 20, 2020
Looks good, dont take me as a computer engineer as ive only built my own one but yeah it looks good.

If you had interest in the idea, i would recommend the ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 as another upgrade. I had the ryzen 5 1600af and upgrading to 3600 was one of the best upgrades of my life, the 1600af will bottleneck you in some games i believe as i had that problem.

Hi, thanks for the reply :) I did a fair bit of research on my processor choice and it turns out the 1600 AF is pretty much the same processor as the 2600. It jsut has slightly lower clock speeds, but shares the same 12nm technology. The benchmarks come out more or less identical so I'm pretty happy with that, especially as I snagged it for like £85!

Oct 20, 2020
Hmm...

Looks fine. I'm not familiar with the CPU and GPU. I would recommend getting an rtx 2060 if you are on a little higher budget or a Ryzen 5 or 7 series. Other than that, looks fine...

Also, you have 600W psu... you probably only need 500W for those specs lol...

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, thanks for the reply :) I did a fair bit of research on my processor choice and it turns out the 1600 AF is pretty much the same processor as the 2600. It jsut has slightly lower clock speeds, but shares the same 12nm technology. The benchmarks come out more or less identical so I'm pretty happy with that, especially as I snagged it for like £85!
Yeah you should be alright, just test it as it goes mate. Always good to learn from mistakes😀

TRENDING THREADS