Question PC Build - Troubleshooting

mpbaker82

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hello

I have a issue with a build I done back in Dec of 2018. I built a PC and since building it, its worked flawlessly.... until now..moohahaha.

Build Components
Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500M
Powersupply - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K Desktop Processor Intel
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 RL-KRX52-02 240mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling with Software Controlled RGB Lighting
HDD - SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E250BW
RAM (Total 32GB) - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

I originally had the machine loaded with Win10 but the error code didnt give me enough to go on, i searched Microsoft web site
and spoke with a individual and as usual, they were no help...

The error i seen on Win10 was:
:(
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Were just collecting some error info, and then we will restart you.

Yes the frown face was in the BSOD

So my troubleshooting began...

MEMTEST86 - 9 passes @ 121 hours with no errors found
PSU Test - Looked at Gigabyte BIOS and all voltages are in range of manufacture specs.
Motherboard - I dont know how to test the motherboard without just swapping it out for a new one.

Thinking it might be the Windows 10 OS or the recent update i did, i attempted to load a linux image on the box. The box took the linux image perfect
then about 2 hours i get the following error

CPU#: Package Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttl

This got me thinking that the box might be overheating... I went into the gigabyte bios and seen the CPU temp was @ 90degree C. WTH!!

now im thinking the CPU is overheating because of a bad or faulty CPU cooler.

I did a re image of the HDD to WIN10 again to load the NZXT software. Iwas hoping to see the NZXT cooler respond with soemthing but the applicaction doesnt even see the cooler but does output time stats. (see image)

I started the NZXT app and it shows some crazy stats. The clock speed is all over the chart for doing a little of nothing, and the CPU temp ranged from 90 to 100degree C.

I also attempted to go into the BIOS and manual set the FAN settings to full speed.

end result... still broke... lol

could this be the CPU cooler? its a closed system and i dont know any means of verify its working. maybe its worth going out and getting a new CPU cooler from best buy just to test...