Question PC Build/upgrade either bootlooping or turning on for split second

disam117

Commendable
Aug 31, 2017
I recently bought some upgrades for my PC including a motherboard and a cpu. I got some ram from my friend which noted two of them do not work so this is known.
Everytime I attempt to boot up the computer, after having connected everything up, the computer immediately turns off. I have experimented for hours to find the culprit, utilizing my old hardware aswell. I have come to the conclusion that the components working in absolute certainty are my 600W EVGA PSU, my CPU heatsink, both my old DDR3 and new DDR4 memory, and other peripheries that I excluded from testing.

I tested to see if the problem was a defective motherboard by running through individual steps of component installation. The front panel connections were connected correctly with 100% certainty as I tested basically the two systems out, the cpu fan connections were installed the exact same, and CPU power was connected the same, while compensating for the 8-pin connection in my desired system while my previous system was only 4-pin.

The testing went as followed:

Old system (i5 4690 which is LGA 1150/ using DDR3) -
No ram/No cpu= bootloop
Ram/No cpu= bootloop
Ram/Cpu without CPU power connection= Turns on, immediately powers off
Ram/Cpu w/CPU power connection= normal operation and boot.

New system (i7 7700k, LGA 1151, DDR4, Gigabyte B360 HD3 motherboard) -
No ram/No cpu= bootloop
Ram/No cpu= bootloop
Ram/Cpu without CPU power connection= bootloop
Ram/Cpu w/ CPU power connection= Turns on, immediately turns off after split second.

Note a few things- during the entire time I tested the "new" system the motherboard displayed the red CPU light indicator, whether the CPU was installed or not.

Things I have done to try to fix issue to avoid redundancy:
-Attempt 4 different DIMMs for possible ram issue.
-Attempted all 4 other ram slots in the B360 HD3 motherboard, eliminated ram as issue, 99% sure.
-Again, made sure my PSU was not the issue.
-Cleared cmos
-Eaten many gummy bears in despair
-Eliminated all peripherals not essential to operation, ie. GPU, USB, SATA drives, audio, etc. Left only front panel connections for Power LED, HD, and Power Switch.
-Checked if motherboard CPU pins were aligned, they were in good shape as far as I could tell.

I am not sure whether the CPU is faulty or the motherboard is faulty. I have heard that CPU's are less likely to fail than many other components, but still possible. The fact that the motherboard lights ups with the red CPU indicator gives me the feeling that the motherboard is failing, but seems quite strange to me because everything else functions perfectly. What strikes me as odd more-so, however, is when I plug in CPU power on the "new" system, that the system immediately turns off after I power it on. This part somewhat justifies the whole experiment as it is the anomaly in the whole thing. I purchased the CPU from ebay possible facepalm and it was quoted as- "tested, working".

What the fuck is happening

disam117

Commendable
Aug 31, 2017
It appears to be that a cause of the problem is an incompatibility between the i7 7700k chipset and the one in the motherboard. Despite being both LGA 1151, and the board literally having an inscription stating it supports “8th gen intel chips”, it doesn’t have the same socketing, thereby reading the chip as faulty. Both parts may very well be in working order. MSI has a board that supports this cpu; the z270-a. When I was searching for motherboards, this one never came up because it seems to not have LGA 1151 in the name which means it never showed up in the search results. Can anyone confirm all this?