News PC Builder Mods a GameCube Into an AMD-Powered Gaming Desktop

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It'd be fitting if they could somehow stuff a POWER CPU and an AMD GPU in this thing.

The real GameCube features a PowerPC CPU and an ArtX/ATI GPU. I believe that ATI group was later spun off and bought by Qualcomm to build their Adreno mobile GPUs.

Evilbred

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
It'd be fitting if they could somehow stuff a POWER CPU and an AMD GPU in this thing.

The real GameCube features a PowerPC CPU and an ArtX/ATI GPU. I believe that ATI group was later spun off and bought by Qualcomm to build their Adreno mobile GPUs.

PowerPC CPUs aren't X86 instruction set compatible. Also ATI was bought by AMD and forms their GPU divison, not Qualcomm.

Reactions: jerrspud

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
PowerPC CPUs aren't X86 instruction set compatible.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. You could run Linux on it, though.

I mean, Raspbery Pi's also aren't x86 ISA-based, and people seem to regard them as being pretty useful.

Also ATI was bought by AMD and forms their GPU divison, not Qualcomm.
Yes, my bad. It turnsout it was a different ATI acquisition that was sold to Qualcomm and formed their Adreno GPU group.

In 2006, ATI acquired BitBoys, adding additional talent and experience with vector graphics to their mobile and handheld graphics team.
After AMD's acquisition of ATI in 2006, AMD licensed their mobile graphics technology to Qualcomm in April 2007[4] who integrated it into their Snapdragon processor family under their Adreno brand name. AMD subsequently sold off the mobile handheld graphics division to Qualcomm in 2009 for $65M[5] following an earlier sale of the Xilleon branch to Broadcom.​

That said ArtX was also bought by ATI. I just got them mixed up with BitBoys.

ArtX was contracted in May 1998 to create the system logic and the graphics processor (code named Flipper) for Nintendo's fourth game console (code named "Dolphin"), which would eventually be launched as the GameCube.[1][3] ...
They demonstrated their first integrated graphics chipset with a built-in geometry engine at COMDEX in the fall of 1999.[5] It was built into the Aladdin 7 northbridge sold by ALi of Taiwan.[6]
ArtX was acquired by ATI Technologies, Inc. in February 2000 for $400 million in stock options.​

Last edited: