Question PC can barely detect a modem that's just few meters away

Jun 4, 2019
My PC can't connect to Wi-Fi unless I move it right next to the modem. This hasn't been a problem before and all other devices have no problem connecting. I've been using ethernet for most of the time but don't have an option for it at the moment but there were no problems whatsoever with the same wifi before I started using ethernet. I can see the wifi on the network list but with no bars. Before I've been able to see neighbours networks as well but now only mine and sometimes not even it. Sharing internet thru phone works just fine unless I move the phone to next room.

I'm using windows 10.
TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express 2.0(x1) Adapter TL-WN881ND

I've tried updating drivers, removing all known networks, restarting everything and checked if the wifi card was somehow loose but none of them made any difference. How could I fix this? Thanks in advance for any replies. 🙏

Ralston18

Titan
Take another look at the wireless adapter's configuration settings - verify that they match network router. (Make and model router?)

What frequency and channels are you using?

Suggestions:

Did you try Windows 10's built in troubleshooters? They may find and fix something.

First check that only one network adapter is enabled on your PC.

In your case only the wireless adapter should be enabled. Wired adapter disabled.

Double check the antennas on the wireless adapter. Ensure that they are correctly and fully attached.

If there is some sort of extension cable for the antennas give that a try.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the command prompt and post the results.

Jun 4, 2019
Hey!

The router is Inteno EG300R0. If I'm getting this right, I'm using 2,4 GHz and channel 1(?)

I tried troubleshooting, it fixed something but not this issue. I disabled all other adapters. I'm not sure what you mean by checking the antennas, I know you can add external antennas but I don't have those.

Also tried connecting again right next to the router and the signal is just as weak as further away. It does connect but gives "the wlan doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error.

D

Deleted member 14196

you will need an external antenna(s), the card should come with it/them
they should look like this when you get the card new

shopping

Jun 4, 2019
If I ever received any antennas for it, they've certainly never been used. I'm just confused why I suddenly have issues with wireless and if adding antennas would help this at all.

Maybe it is just a bad card.

Jun 4, 2019
It's a ready built PC and I never got the antennas to go with it. So I guess I'll go search for those next, I don't know on what magic it worked on before then.. :'D