PC can not recognize Seagate external Hard drive

amyg1411

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I have been using my Seagate 2TB for about 2-3 months now, have all my files on there. Tonight, I go to email a file for uni to my classmate, and nothing can be seen.
I live in Brisbane, Australia and at present (at 11.30pm) it is still 30 degrees C... (I'm telling you this, because I figure the heat has fried it or something)
I went onto the Seagate website, to see what I could troubleshoot myself. I fiddled around with the power cable, turned it on/off at the wall, unplugged it at the wall/device. I swapped the USB cables around at the computer, unplugged/plugged in at the hard drive. I restarted my computer. I tried to see if it would come up in Device Manger, it did not.
Thing is, I can't get any data recover in time - it's Friday night, and my assignment is due Monday. So bascially, I'm not going to do well right now... Any advice on what I can do with this POS? Other than throw it out the window or use it as a paper weight :(
Thanks
Amy

amy try plugging it into another pc to check that your pc usb ports are not dead or it a driver issue. if the unit does not show up on another pc. check to see if you can feel the drive springing inside,if it is it could be the control card failed on the ext drive or the drive itself. if you need the data..open the case and connect the drive to your pc.

amyg1411

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
The device doesn't boot up when my computer does - I would hear the fans going otherwise.
I can't feel it springing either.
How do I open the case, and does that void the warranty? Because you betcha I'll be taking this back!!

popatim

Titan
Seagate has an option on their rma screen to notify them if data recovery is being done. I've seen the option but have never used it myself so I don't know whats involved after that.

I can say they are reasonable in replying to emails. I've always gotten an email back by the next day at the latest.