Question PC cannot boot, only ram is powered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2019
First, here is a video of when I power on my PC: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/1JEoRvf

This is my parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($799.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - Castle 280 RGB 96.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MEG X399 CREATION EATX TR4 Motherboard ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($357.15 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($1198.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($187.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $3387.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 22:17 EDT-0400

My PC is unable to boot after I powered it off one night. I have not changed any software nor hardware that night. When I powered it on next morning, all I got is a black screen while the PC itself looks fine (RGB lit, fans spinning). This situation happens occationally thus I am not too worried. Then I powered it off by holding the power button on my case to turn it off and reboot it. Second try results in the same issue. So I did it again. However, the third attempt lead to the situation same as my video posted above. Results from subsequent booting are the same.

I am sure all cables are tight. Already tried booting with every single stick of ram. No display on debug LED: View: https://imgur.com/Qn4asYM

I have tried a brand new PSU. Results in same issue. I have also removed all devices and peripherals, leaving only 1 ram, CPU, M.2 SSD mounted on motherboard and GPU on. Result is the same. The motherboard has been returned to MSI for a new one. It did not solve the problem, neither. Switch power outlet is futile, too. When I jump my PSU it could deliver consistent power to fans and LEDs without interruption.

What could be the reason of this booting issue? Thanks for your answers.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So if I have currently understood correctly,
  • it's a system that has worked fine to now? Is this a new build?
  • You have replaced PSU and MB to no avail? and also tried a different outlet.
  • You have breadboarded the PC (except leaving the GPU in) and still the same issue occurred?

If you power on the system directly from the motherboard after disconnecting the front panel, does the issue still occur?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Jun 19, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So if I have currently understood correctly,
  • it's a system that has worked fine to now? Is this a new build?
  • You have replaced PSU and MB to no avail? and also tried a different outlet.
  • You have breadboarded the PC (except leaving the GPU in) and still the same issue occurred?
If you power on the system directly from the motherboard after disconnecting the front panel, does the issue still occur?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Thanks for your welcome and reply!
Yes, you have understood correctly. To further clarify your first bullet point: I build this system on December 2018 and it worked fine until March or April 2019.
I have already removed all front panel switch pins. Motherboard power switch results in the same issue. I do have the latest BIOS when it can be booted.

Jun 19, 2019
Do you have another GPU you can plug in to test if the issue repeats? Being as there is no iGPU.
May also be worth removing the M2 during a breadboard to see if you can still boot to BIOS without this occurring.
Sadly I do not have another graphics card. I just tried to boot it without m.2. Same issue persists.

One thing I have noticed is if I removed all power cable except fans and LEDs then jump my PSU like this:
dde40555-1b01-4945-88e9-a6aa8f7e9b27.jpg

I will get the same issue. But If I jump the 12v and ground pin in addition to the jump shown in picture then the PSU can supply steady power.

Status
Not open for further replies.