[SOLVED] PC can't connect to 5ghz network only 2.4 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob713

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Hi all,
I'm having trouble with the network connection on my computer. Since I've gotten my computer, for as long as I can recall, it has not been able to connect to 5ghz networks. This hasn't been to much of an issue because I've been using an ethernet connection but now that's not possible and it's very aggravating having to use the slower speed 2.4 ghz connection. Whenever I try to connect to the 5ghz connection I simply get a message back saying "cant connect to the network" and that's it. I'm positive the problem is related to my computer as both my phone and laptop can connect to the network just fine. I'm currently on windows 10 and my wifi adapter is a intel dual band wireless ac 3168. Does anyone have any tips I should try to fix the connection? I've already tried updating my network adapter drivers, unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", as well as turning on throughput booster. Thanks for any help!

Also, this shouldn't be a problem with the ISP because I've used two different ISP's and it hasn't worked for either.

Solution
Did you check for a newer BIOS and driver update for the motherboard? Check on the WiFi settings for the 5gz signal? Maybe there is an issue with the adapter and the router and changing the authentication or encryption type may help. Some things just happen to be buggy when used together. My high end Netgear AC adapter has issues connecting to my router a times, my work laptop, phone and tablet are fine during those times. Windows and drivers can be an issue, or just a bug in the adapter or router that causes issues with specific hardware. It's a pain at times but nothing really unknown.
These connectors (upper right of first image on Newegg, labeled A and B) are what was referred to:

https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00EK-006B2

I'm getting a bit confused by 2 different posts ... there's another ... broken pin type post ... I don't think this post has mention of connectors? In any case ... in the link you show ... A & B are connectors for the antenna ... the antenna itself is usually (on laptops) ... wrapped around the display screen.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm getting a bit confused by 2 different posts ... there's another ... broken pin type post ... I don't think this post has mention of connectors? In any case ... in the link you show ... A & B are connectors for the antenna ... the antenna itself is usually (on laptops) ... wrapped around the display screen.
I saw it. The antennas you mentioned connect to those "pins". It can be a pain to ensure the wire antennas are firmly attached to those. On the end of each antenna wire is a small connector that is affixed to the "pins" (labeled A and B).

In the other thread, it would appear that one of those has been damaged/broken off.

These connectors (upper right of first image on Newegg, labeled A and B) are what was referred to:

https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00EK-006B2

Oh wait ... rereading this ... you're telling the OP that those connectors are what I was talking about. Yes, 100% ... that is what I meant. Please disregard the post before this one.

So if either of those pins (A or B) isn't connected (or loose - they're finicky little pins) ... you've got antenna problems ...well worth checking ... just give the wires coming to them a little push (straight down on to the pin) with the end of a pen or something. Do that even if they look connected ... like I said ...it's a finicky little connection and sometimes just needs a little push to fully engage the connection.

billybob713

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Oh wait ... rereading this ... you're telling the OP that those connectors are what I was talking about. Yes, 100% ... that is what I meant. Please disregard the post before this one.

So if either of those pins (A or B) isn't connected (or loose - they're finicky little pins) ... you've got antenna problems ...well worth checking ... just give the wires coming to them a little push (straight down on to the pin) with the end of a pen or something. Do that even if they look connected ... like I said ...it's a finicky little connection and sometimes just needs a little push to fully engage the connection.

Full disclosure: I bought my pc prebuilt so I'm not too comfortable digging into my internals. So my motherboard is an MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) and if you look that up it seems like the wifi adapter would be under the motherboards IO shield which is somewhat of a pain for me to move since its also behind a case fan. Do you think that's really the only possible option besides getting a new adapter, which would require digging into the internals anyway?

This is quite a frustrating problem. My 2.4 ghz wifi is currently getting 6 mbps and the 5 ghz is currently getting 200 mbps :/

"I bought my pc prebuilt so I'm not too comfortable digging into my internals. "
I hear you about this. Do you haveany computer geeky friends. Someone who is used to tearing down pcs could probly get at it in 10 mins or so. You've tried the 'replacing, updating the drivers' so ... I'm thinkiing it's hardware ... antenna wire loose or new card.
If you're jammed up timewise or something ...there are those usb wifi adapters. Here's what looks to be a great deal. But, you'd have to be quick. Sale ends in 2 hours lol.

https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-wn681ae-usb-2-0/p/0XM-00B5-00028?Description=usb wifi&cm_re=usb_wifi--0XM-00B5-00028--Product

It'd keep you going while you decide what to do about your internal card. And ...it's always handy to have an alternate way to quickly get a pc hooked up to wireless. For $13.99, just plug it into a usb port and away you go!

Or ... if your pc is in the same room as your router ... just get the appropriate length of ethernet cable (CAT5e or CAT6) ... plug one end into the LAN port of your pc ... the other end into one of the LAN ports on the back of your router. Be prepared for a BIG jump in internet speed (I'm assuming you have good internet speed coming to your house).
That'll buy you time to sort out your wifi problem. Although, after using a wired connection, you might not ever want to go back to wifi lol. Or is your computer a laptop?

Oh ... sorry, just reread your original post ... ethernet cable is not possible ... ignore this post and get the usb adapter.

Last edited:

billybob713

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Or ... if your pc is in the same room as your router ... just get the appropriate length of ethernet cable (CAT5e or CAT6) ... plug one end into the LAN port of your pc ... the other end into one of the LAN ports on the back of your router. Be prepared for a BIG jump in internet speed (I'm assuming you have good internet speed coming to your house).
That'll buy you time to sort out your wifi problem. Although, after using a wired connection, you might not ever want to go back to wifi lol. Or is your computer a laptop?

Oh ... sorry, just reread your original post ... ethernet cable is not possible ... ignore this post and get the usb adapter.

I was looking into possibly getting a usb adapter. My only worry is that my computer is on the second floor of my house, but my router is on the first, though it is directly below me. I know the signal strength of usb adapters is weaker so do I have to spring for one of the expensive ones to get good performance or will a medium range usb adapter like https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB...=1612192785&sprefix=usb+wifi+a,aps,189&sr=8-8 work? I was also looking at possibly getting a stronger antenna for the wifi adapter as a possible solution, would that work at all or does this seem entirely isolated to the adapter? Thank you!

Did you check for a newer BIOS and driver update for the motherboard? Check on the WiFi settings for the 5gz signal? Maybe there is an issue with the adapter and the router and changing the authentication or encryption type may help. Some things just happen to be buggy when used together. My high end Netgear AC adapter has issues connecting to my router a times, my work laptop, phone and tablet are fine during those times. Windows and drivers can be an issue, or just a bug in the adapter or router that causes issues with specific hardware. It's a pain at times but nothing really unknown.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.