[SOLVED] PC can't connect to main WiFi router, but can connect to the (terribly slow) WiFi extender?

Dec 4, 2019
So I've just moved back into an apartment, and my PC doesn't want to connect to the main WiFi router. My PC will recognise the router, and even prompt me to enter its password, but when I do, it will "verify and connect" for up to a minute, then just say "can't connect to this network" (I know it's the right password too, just to clarify). The WiFi extender is 2.4Ghz while the router is 5Ghz, and I have made sure my PC is 5g compatible.

Furthermore, all other devices in the Apt can connect to both the router and extender from any part of the Apt perfectly fine.

Also, earlier this year when I was living here, I had the same issue with the WiFi, and ethernet wouldn't work with the main router either (I can't remember the error it gave me but I remember giving up on troubleshooting after hours of fruitless pain). I don't have the cable now, however. Just felt it was necessary to include that.

Lastly, the extender is not only 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5g, but it's dead opposite the apartment from me, while the router is directly below my PC.

Cannot find any solutions on this for the life of me, and the packet loss, latency spikes, and general lag in games and Discord is doing my head in. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
If you can connect directly to the router form anyplace you should not even have the extender in your house. They are slow because of the double sending of the signals but they also cause interference with the main router because they are transmitting on the same radio channels. You should not use extenders unless you have no other option.

Not sure why your PC will not connect to the router. I assume since you can even attempt this you have different SSID. If the SSID are the same the end device will always try to connect to the strongest signal even if that may not be the "best" signal.
Dec 4, 2019
might help to identify the router and wifi adapter you're using on the PC.
check the WPA settings on both. Ideally you want WPA2-AES enabled
How do I find these details?
I tried Googling how to do this but couldn't find a solid answer, sorry.

EDIT: I am in the router admin settings, which I'm assuming is where the WPA settings are found in.

Dec 4, 2019
Ive had similar issues when first using a wifi card in new pc's ive built. Easiest way I find is use a cheap dongle to get online then download the wifi card driver then take out the dongle.

Are you saying I should get a dongle to give my PC internet access, and reinstall the WiFi drivers to the PC? If so I can just use my phone to hotspot, right?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
So I've just moved back into an apartment, and my PC doesn't want to connect to the main WiFi router. My PC will recognise the router, and even prompt me to enter its password, but when I do, it will "verify and connect" for up to a minute, then just say "can't connect to this network" (I know it's the right password too, just to clarify). The WiFi extender is 2.4Ghz while the router is 5Ghz, and I have made sure my PC is 5g compatible.

Furthermore, all other devices in the Apt can connect to both the router and extender from any part of the Apt perfectly fine.

Also, earlier this year when I was living here, I had the same issue with the WiFi, and ethernet wouldn't work with the main router either (I can't remember the error it gave me but I remember giving up on troubleshooting after hours of fruitless pain). I don't have the cable now, however. Just felt it was necessary to include that.

Lastly, the extender is not only 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5g, but it's dead opposite the apartment from me, while the router is directly below my PC.

Cannot find any solutions on this for the life of me, and the packet loss, latency spikes, and general lag in games and Discord is doing my head in. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Unplug the extender, then connect to the wifi. Afterwards, you can plug in the extender again

If you can connect directly to the router form anyplace you should not even have the extender in your house. They are slow because of the double sending of the signals but they also cause interference with the main router because they are transmitting on the same radio channels. You should not use extenders unless you have no other option.

Not sure why your PC will not connect to the router. I assume since you can even attempt this you have different SSID. If the SSID are the same the end device will always try to connect to the strongest signal even if that may not be the "best" signal.

Solution