Question PC can't recognize graphic card ?

Jun 2, 2022
Ok guys my PC won't/can't recognize my graphic card - GeForce 450GTS.

I am running windows 10 and it is not in the Device manager. There isn't even "graphic adapters" in the device manager. (I checked the hidden option of course) I pulled it(the GPU) out and put it in - no change. The VGA port works obviously, the fan spins. What could it be? The card is also detected via AIDA.

My Specs:
Motherboard: ARSRock N68-Gs3
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 3ghz
RAM: Apacer 2 x4GB DDr3
HDD 1TB

Old machine, but doing its job.

Hello, is that a brand new GPU, or a used one ? Has it worked before. Which particular Nvidia GPU driver version are you using ? Actually, that's a pretty old GPU, and since you are using Windows 10 OS, then sometimes there can be compatibility issue as well.

Have you tried this driver version ? Does your GPU require a 6-PIN PCI-e connector cable ? If yes, then first plug the 6-PIN PEG cable to the card, and then reboot the system. Also make sure the GPU is seated properly on the mobo's PCI Express x16 slot.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us/

More importantly, does your ASROCK motherboard support Windows 10 OS , cause in the system specs, Windows 10 is not officially supported, IMO.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-GS3 UCC/index.asp

Jun 2, 2022
Hello there. It was working just fine a day ago, but after Win10 auto update, all went wrong. Yes I have 6pin cable, I will try it. I am sure the GPU is rpoprely installed. I removed all drivers and tried to install new one (the one above from 2018) but the driver can't detect GPU at all. Can be a hardware problem? (faulty gpu or pci e slot) As I said the fans spins fine, my monitor is connected through the vga port of the gpu, the hdmi isn't working. This problem is buggin me a lot.

Can be a hardware problem? (faulty gpu or pci e slot)

No, I don't really think so. Since the problem started after installing Windows 10 OS update, then most likely this is the culprit. To rule out any hardware problem, you need to check the card on some other Windows 10 PC, if possible.

Can you rollback your Windows update files ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Windows updates do mess things up. I had my iGPU messed twice after updates, and only solution were newer drivers which is not an option for you as there are no new drivers for such old card. I'd say you should roll back Windows update and see if that fixes the problem.

Jun 2, 2022
Bad news. I installed win7 on second partition. Same problem. Can't detect GPU. I can't roll back for some reason on win10. As you see I am not a professional, but I can't explain myself the situation. I connected my monitor via vga to the gpu, (the hdmi dont work as I mentioned) and I have a signal (reduced graphics, reduced resolution of course)

So that's not a Windows update problem. Looks like card failed or PCIe slot failed. The latter is usually much less probable but given the mobo age I would say 50/50. The board does not have a second PCIe slot so your next step is check GPU in another machine (which can be challenging as some newer mobos might not play nice with so old card).

Jun 2, 2022
So that's not a Windows update problem. Looks like card failed or PCIe slot failed. The latter is usually much less probable but given the mobo age I would say 50/50. The board does not have a second PCIe slot so your next step is check GPU in another machine (which can be challenging as some newer mobos might not play nice with so old card).

Ok, so interesting, if the gpu failed, how can I have a signal through the vga port? I though if the gpu or the pcie slot failed, I would have black screen. Of course as I said I am not a professional. I am more interested in solving/explaining the problem than the PC itself :)

Hello there. It was working just fine a day ago, but after Win10 auto update, all went wrong. Yes I have 6pin cable, I will try it. I am sure the GPU is rpoprely installed. I removed all drivers and tried to install new one (the one above from 2018) but the driver can't detect GPU at all. Can be a hardware problem? (faulty gpu or pci e slot) As I said the fans spins fine, my monitor is connected through the vga port of the gpu, the hdmi isn't working. This problem is buggin me a lot.
If you can get it to work again you might want to disable driver updates from winupd.

Jun 2, 2022
That's not even unusual. The card that wont even give display is just dead. Yours is merely faulty. Some parts of it still work, others don't. I've seen much stranger failures.

Tomorrow I am gonna try a GF 740GT and we will see what happens.

Now the user told me, that for 2-3 weeks he experienced some changes in resolution after restart, maybe the gpu started to fail there.

Yup same problem. With the GT740 :D So it is the PCI E slot? Again the question, if the PCIe slot failed how can I have a signal? Can be a PSU problem, PSU failure or something like that?
If you know that gt740 works that would be proof its the motherboard problem. I suggest removing GPU and and doing good compressed air blast to PCIe slot, maybe something's there blocking contact pins.
Same answer for second question as before: there are lot of states between 'works fine' and 'is dead'.
PSU problem would rather be 'does not work at all' class. The only possible failure here is no power/wrong voltage on 12V line on PCIe cable. Both would cause the GPU to not work at all.

Reactions: wazawcho

TRENDING THREADS