Question PC capped at 100 Mpbs

User4567

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
Hi,

i am having an issue where my pc's internet speed is capped at 100 Mbps,

My Motherboard is a B450-f which has Intel® Gigabit Ethernet my router is 1 gigabit and i am using a CAT 8 cable direct from the router to the PC,

not sure what is causing this to be capped on my PC, any help or advice would be much appreciated

User4567

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
so weirdly enough i tested it before, i then clipped it to the outside of the house, rather than having it inside the house, which is when the speed went down, there is no visual markings on the cable to show this,

i will get another cable and try, also why would you not go with flat cable, are they bad?

USAFRet

Titan
so weirdly enough i tested it before, i then clipped it to the outside of the house, rather than having it inside the house, which is when the speed went down, there is no visual markings on the cable to show this,

i will get another cable and try, also why would you not go with flat cable, are they bad?
To achieve "flat", they use thinner wires.
Which are NOT up to actual standard.

" i then clipped it to the outside of the house, rather than having it inside the house, which is when the speed went down"
Possibly you nicked the wire inside.

User4567

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
What make/model router?
I have and have a ISP router (new model) it has 4 ports that can do 1gig each, so i don't believe that's the problem,

as i have tested before it clipped the cable onto the wall and it was fine, the only thing i think it could be is that a damaged the cable as previously suggested

User4567

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
i have a new cable arriving tomorrow i will try that and hopefully it fixes the issues,

i will update you if this issue is fixed,

thanks for the all suggestions and ideas

USAFRet

Titan
But he said capped at 100? The reason I got that was the speed that isp provided was that. So that’s what I got when doing a speed test from an iPhone.
What comes from the ISP is mostly irrelevant.

The question is...why is this wired connection only getting 100mbps between the PC and router?

If the speed from the ISP s 100, thats what you get when talking to the outside world.
Between the PC and router is still (or should be) gigabit.

I have 100/100 fiber from Verizon.
If I was only getting 100mbps between the router, PC, and NAS...I'd be looking for a problem.
Likely a cable issue.
That should be gigabit (1000mbps) on the internal LAN.

Correct. I'd say cable is a good place to start. At the time we had the faster service I discovered a similar issue to the op. In my case I had a 10/100 switch between my nighthawk router and the pc. I updated that to gigabit switch which solved that. If the op is not dealing with a cable issue, then he needs likely to find out how to enable the higher speeds on his ports without breaking his connection, or to upgrade the router.

Reactions: iNVERTEDpLAZMA