RopoGamer

Reputable
Oct 18, 2016
Hello Guys,

whenever i plug an ethernet cable into my pc (Asus prime b350 plus mobo), it always picks a 100mbps link speed, instead of the 1gbps i am looking for.

The cable i brand new (CAT 6) and the router is a TP-Link Archer C7 v2, i have tried the exact same cable with my girlfriends laptop and my work laptop:

My work laptop has the same issue,
The other laptop picks up 1gbps link speed fine.

Both on that same CAT6 cable as my pc.

I have tried changing Speed to 1gbps full duplex in windows, but that also does not seem to work. I have also disabled all power saving options and such in windows.

I am hoping someone can help me see the issue here.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You need to hope it is the cable. The speed negotiation is a very well established done almost exclusively in the hardware. Its not like a driver bug is going to cause it but it doesn't hurt to verify you have the latest driver.

You want to always leave the setting on auto. Since you can't change the router and it is set to auto, if you machines does not respond to the signalling sent by the router it could drop to the wrong speed or more likely just not work.

These problems are almost always the cable. It would be really nice is cables would just completely fail when they go bad. Unfortunately cables that out of spec can work on some machines and not others. Some machines just seem to tolerate a defective cable more.

Be...
You need to hope it is the cable. The speed negotiation is a very well established done almost exclusively in the hardware. Its not like a driver bug is going to cause it but it doesn't hurt to verify you have the latest driver.

You want to always leave the setting on auto. Since you can't change the router and it is set to auto, if you machines does not respond to the signalling sent by the router it could drop to the wrong speed or more likely just not work.

These problems are almost always the cable. It would be really nice is cables would just completely fail when they go bad. Unfortunately cables that out of spec can work on some machines and not others. Some machines just seem to tolerate a defective cable more.

Be very sure you do not have a fake cable. Certified ethernet cables must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). These non certified cables have many more problems than cables that actually meet the standards for ethernet.

Best it to buy a cable or two to test with. Your only option past that is buying a ethernet nic and installing it in your machine. Luckily bad motherboard ports are very rare

Solution