[SOLVED] PC case airflow question

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
My question is, will a 40mm fan above my CPU cooler make the airflow of the cooler worse ?
I always used the stock cooler for the i7 8700k and my computer case has a single 40mm fan mounted on the top of the case.
I'm buying the Noctua NH D15S and I'm scared the extra fan on top is going to ruin the airflow.
Should I keep it or dismount it ?

Solution
My question is, will a 40mm fan above my CPU cooler make the airflow of the cooler worse ?
I always used the stock cooler for the i7 8700k and my computer case has a single 40mm fan mounted on the top of the case.
I'm buying the Noctua NH D15S and I'm scared the extra fan on top is going to ruin the airflow.

The most natural and best airflow solution is natural convection. Hot air has a tendency to rise from bottom to top. You can direct it from front to rear, but bottom to top is the most natural pattern.

An exhaust fan on the top should not affect the performance of your stock intel CPU in a negative way. It only encourages that natural convection process.
i have the noctua and 5 other fans in my coolermaster half x tower , you will not have any problems with airflow , the fan is silent as well , if you pc did not have a few lights you would not know it was switched on it is noiseless.

NOTE.... did you check the measurements of the fan unit to make sure it will fit in your case ...... it is huge !

The most natural and best airflow solution is natural convection. Hot air has a tendency to rise from bottom to top. You can direct it from front to rear, but bottom to top is the most natural pattern.

An exhaust fan on the top should not affect the performance of your stock intel CPU in a negative way. It only encourages that natural convection process.

Solution