[SOLVED] Pc case cooling

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hello Everyone

I have Noctua NHU14s cooler with 2 fans pull and push configuration at rear side of Cabinet and horizontal mount MSI RTX 2080 Gaming trio in my Cooler master MB511 NON RGB CASE.

And i have installed 2x140mm intake Fans installed at front side. (Noctua Industrial PPC 3000 RPM)

2x140mm Exhaust Fans at top side(Noctua Industrial PPC 3000 RPM)

1x120mm pre installed Fan in cabinet.

is that 5 Fans are sufficient for best thermals or to make cool the components inside the chassis like cpu and graphwhen i play AAA games at ultra settings on 1440p.

or

Do i need to replace chassis with more fan bandwidth which can accommodate more fans?

will more fans in chassis have better thermal result of components while playing heavy games?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"If it ain't broke..."
If you're not having any thermal issues, then there's nothing worth 'fixing'.

That said...
2x140mm Exhaust Fans at top side(Noctua Industrial PPC 3000 RPM)
With the tower cooler in play, while those 2 fans do help get the gpu exhaust out faster, it leads to the cpu cooler getting less cool air.
A minor tradeoff - the RTX 2080 easily draws more power anyway.

Nice to see another IPPC 3000 owner - I recently gave up on 'em.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
"If it ain't broke..."
If you're not having any thermal issues, then there's nothing worth 'fixing'.

That said...

With the tower cooler in play, while those 2 fans do help get the gpu exhaust out faster, it leads to the cpu cooler getting less cool air.
A minor tradeoff - the RTX 2080 easily draws more power anyway.

Nice to see another IPPC 3000 owner - I recently gave up on 'em.
Thanks for your response

so what do you suggest? Shall i replace the chassis to have more fans.

or what to do here to give more cool air to cpu?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Nothing's thermal throttling, is there?
If so, there's nothing to change.

More fans isn't absolute. AirFLOW > AirBLOW. I've already been down that road...
Impulse bought Phanteks 719 loaded with IPPC 3000s:
View: https://imgur.com/An7EAIF

View: https://imgur.com/K4F0y6i
No sir. There is no thermal throttling.

In your post. I have seen you have mounted your cpu heatsink in horizontal position like pushing hot air to top side. Is that better way than installing cpu heat sink in vertical position which push air at rear side.

because i have mounted the cpu heatsink in vertical position which is pushing hot air towards rear side.

Can i also install cpu in horizontal position as like you. Will it give more cool thermal than vertical position?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I don't remember the thermals, other than I did it for the heck of it - plus being able to do either vertical or horizontal is one of the awesome things about the NH-D15S.

The NH-U14S is more like a NH-D15 without the 2nd tower; neither has the compacted heatsink like the D15S does, so you'd have to check memory clearance.

If anything, it'll help pull the gpu exhaust out faster, at the cost of more heatsoak on the tower cooler.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Unfortunately, I don't remember the thermals, other than I did it for the heck of it - plus being able to do either vertical or horizontal is one of the awesome things about the NH-D15S.

The NH-U14S is more like a NH-D15 without the 2nd tower; neither has the compacted heatsink like the D15S does, so you'd have to check memory clearance.

If anything, it'll help pull the gpu exhaust out faster, at the cost of more heatsoak on the tower cooler.
So if it soak more heat of GPU faster then it will raise the cpu temp more instead of having cpu installed in vertical position.

Am i correct?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. The axial fan coolers dump most of their heat inside the chassis, and some of that exhaust is absorbed into the cpu cooler - whether air or liquid.
Doing a cpu cooler vertically would give the cpu cooler slightly higher operating temps.

But, as I posted earlier, there's really nothing to change with your setup, unless you just want to experiment or screw around.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019

Ok Thank you

just last query. As per post pic.

The way you have installed cpu cooler. What do you call horizontal or vertical position? Like bottom to top airflow.

And can you suggest any other chassis having same fan slots like front , top, rear, bottom and side.

Phantek enthoo 719 is too costly and also unavailable in India?

Do you have any spare chassis with great airflow like this?

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Another Noctua "fan" here. However I have the 2000rpm version. 4x in front in push/pull and 1 in the rear. 2 Noctua NF-A12's on the top. 2 stock Fractal case fans on the bottom to feed the GPU cool air through the holes.

20200629-231512.jpg

20200629-231422.jpg

Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
The direction the fan is facing.

Is there a specific goal to this?
What's the reason for wanting so many fans? You're getting to the point of diminishing returns: little to no change in cooling performance, but more noise.
Yes, because more intake fans means more cool air inside the chassis and Gpu and cpu will get more cool air and don't bump to too high temps.

I don't care about noise. My main goal to accomplish lower temps by pushing more cool air inside.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, because more intake fans means more cool air inside the chassis and Gpu and cpu will get more cool air and don't bump to too high temps.
No, it doesn't work that way. I found that out the hard way with the 719 chassis and all those IPPC fans in there.
1)My 1080Ti, before I put a liquid cooling kit on it, never saw over 65C in the CM H500P Mesh I currently use, and it has far fewer fans. I did run the gpu fans at 100% though when playing games.
That's already pretty darn cool under load...

2)Having used IPPC 3000s as chassis fans and putting 2x NF-A14 IPPC 3000 fans on my NH-D15S barely did anything for cpu thermals under heavy load, other than being LOUD, and I came to understand why it did so little:
-the design of finstack is not optimized for fans of that speed; instead, at more moderate speeds - you know, the fan(s) it already comes with.
-the limitations caused by the IHS. Nothing beats direct die cooling, NOTHING. I'm not recommending that you do that, because it has it's share of issues.
-also, my 7820X is delidded. That helped much more than those IPPCs did. It dropped like 10C across all threads, as well as fixing one particular thread that would run like 13C higher than the coolest core. The hottest and the coolest thread having a thermal gap within 10C are within Intel's specifications.

I have since dropped the IPPCs like a week ago, save for the one currently in the rear fan slot, which I will replace later.
I state why in here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/1080ti-aio-liquid-cooling-project.3623420/

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ok. Now I understood how this will work and in what way.
I just want to understand do i leave my gpu ans at auto settings or just set to 100 %?

and Is the front fan intake is better or bottom fan intake in terms of better cooling inside chassis if we have choose between them?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I just want to understand do i leave my gpu ans at auto settings or just set to 100 %?
I'd never tell anyone to use auto, because the auto profiles suck.
A)On the models that have 0% fan profiles, they'll stay off until 60C - perhaps higher - then as soon as they hit the temperature target, they jump up to 80% speed, and as soon as dips below 60C.
Actual in game loads are going to fluctuate; they're not synthetic like some gpu benchmarks. So the fans will just continue to rev up and down like that. That behavior will just about annoy anyone.

B)Then you've got the models that are always on(no 0% fan profile). These are usually on the cheapest product tiers - like how Gigabyte has Windforce, Turbo, Gaming, Aorus, Aorus Xtreme, Aorus Waterforce, Aorus Xtreme Waterforce? This profile is likely to be on the first 2.
These aren't aggressive enough. The fans will run at low rpms even in game. They won't kick in until 80C or higher - once again, doing the revving thing.

But yeah... set your fans however you want. If you're fine with the noise level at 100%, do 100%. It's not hurting anything; fans are specced around 100% anyway.

Is the front fan intake is better or bottom fan intake in terms of better cooling inside chassis if we have choose between them?
In most situations, it's the front. Bottom intake usually has too much restriction, the hardest one being the distance between the bottom fan and the table/desk/floor/etc; usually too close for bottom intake to be of any real use.
Then there's a chassis like Cooler Master's SL600M. That model yields some of the lowest possible thermals for gpus on air cooling; it doesn't do so well for cpu cooling, but there's an easy way around that: liquid cool the cpu, and mount the rad at the top as exhaust.

Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
But yeah... set your fans however you want. If you're fine with the noise level at 100%, do 100%. It's not hurting anything; fans are specced around 100% anyway.
Yes, i won't bother about noise level. Do you mean set the FAN to 100% once it hits the Target level 60C.

In my model MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio. it has 0% FAN profile. According to this.

What do you recommend 100% at 60C or variable speed like 60% at 60C, 80% at 70C and 100% at 80C?

In most situations, it's the front. Bottom intake usually has too much restriction, the hardest one being the distance between the bottom fan and the table/desk/floor/etc; usually too close for bottom intake to be of any real use.
I am planning to buy this case over Coolermaster MB511, Please let me know your opinion about this thing.

Antec P120 Crystal View. It has Side intake, Bottom Intake and Rear exhaust.

Thank you
Ryan

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, i won't bother about noise level. Do you mean set the FAN to 100% once it hits the Target level 60C.

In my model MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio. it has 0% FAN profile. According to this.

What do you recommend 100% at 60C or variable speed like 60% at 60C, 80% at 70C and 100% at 80C?
Set it however you want. The power/choice is yours.

Here's my old Afterburner curve:
View: https://imgur.com/T4inA5d

Sometime after the above and before I installed the AIO on the gpu, I'd simply set a flat 100% line in Afterburner when I was about to play a game. When I was done, I simply clicked the 'reset to defaults' button on the HUD.

Antec P120 Crystal
Ahh yes, one of the O11 Dynamic knock-offs... it looks to be a pretty good chassis: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3554-antec-p120-crystal-case-review-vs-lian-li-o11-dynamic
But there appears to be some QC issues with this product: https://www.newegg.com/black-antec-performance-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811129257 (check the 1-4 egg reviews)

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ahh yes, one of the O11 Dynamic knock-offs... it looks to be a pretty good chassis
Yes even i have read the same review. Its a knock off chassis against the Lian Li O11 and cheaper.
Now my question is

It has bottom intake fans only. Will it have good airflow as there is less space at bottom than front intake.

And it has side exhaust fans instead of Top exhaust.

Is that Airflow is recommended over the Front to back Airflow?

Which is good actually? Front to back or bottom to side ?

I'd simply set a flat 100% line in Afterburner when I was about to play a game. When I was done, I simply clicked the 'reset to defaults' button on the HUD
At how much celsius you will set straight 100% line while playing the game?

And i guess below 60c there is no need to run Gpu fans unnecessarily. As in my GPU i have zero frozer profile which not let the fans turn on below 60c. I guess somewhat it is good.
More fan you run more it faster ages.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It has bottom intake fans only. Will it have good airflow as there is less space at bottom than front intake.

And it has side exhaust fans instead of Top exhaust.

Is that Airflow is recommended over the Front to back Airflow?

Which is good actually? Front to back or bottom to side ?
You know you can orient the fans in whichever way you want bottom doesn't have to be 'intake only', or 'side exhaust only'.
It does have top exhaust only though - the psu.

That aside, what I could see being done with that chassis:
Side intake
Bottom exhaust - specifically for vertical gpu
Rear exhaust - it doesn't even pay to try and do this as an intake, because the psu can only be done as exhaust, it'll suck the intake air right back back out.
Top exhaust only(psu)

Side exhaust
Bottom intake
Rear exhaust
Top exhaust only(psu)

Side intake
Bottom intake
Rear exhaust
Top exhaust only(psu)

As for which is best, I couldn't tell unless I personally had it to play around with, so you'll need to personally test 'em yourself.

At how much celsius you will set straight 100% line while playing the game?
I stopped caring. You know what a flat 100% means, right?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
OHHH! You meant the old Afterburner curve!
65C.
Yes. Exactly.

Thank you
You know you can orient the fans in whichever way you want bottom doesn't have to be 'intake only', or 'side exhaust only'.
It does have top exhaust only though - the psu.
In this case. Psu temperature will rise too much and it will aged faster.

And my seasonic psu fan is not always running. It will start spinning at reaching certain temperature.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ehh... the chassis of old that had top mounted psus didn't have a problem with it.
¯\(ツ)
Correct. Old fashion is always better and never get old.

😊😊😊😊👍👍

Just last query if you don't mind.

I m confused regarding purchase of Antec p120 crystal. Right now i m having Cooler master MB511.

Shall I purchase Antec one or not. Will it provide better thermal than MB511?