Pc case fan

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
I need a few 5 fans, wel might be over kill but don't know the best position for them, I want almost silent, red led, cheap and efficient cooling fans.
If it's not too much to ask also could you tell me the best position to get the best cooking for my case areocool areo-500

Solution

I'm back. Sorry for the wait.

Anyways, you're going to want something that gives you at least four connectors just in case you wish to add more fans later. I found an eight way PWM splitter on Newegg for the same price as the four way splitter from the same company. This one has one genuine advantage over the others which is that it has a Molex connector to draw the fans power straight from the power supply and let the motherboard control speed. This is much more...
For the areo 500 the best config is 2 front, 1 back 2 top.
Front set to intake, back/top to exhaust.

Frankly though 5 is often more then needed, I woudl try 4 (so only 1 on top) and see if that is enough.

As far as fans go everyone has their preferenec but i dont know of any good ones off the top of my head that have red leds in them (i try to get fans without LEDs)

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

The black one with the red led looks great but where do I have intake fans and where do I have exhaust ?

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

Sorry but they do not do that fan in the uk for the same price what the next best one and quietest in the uk ?

Intake from front and bottom (your case doesn't include bottom intakes), exhaust from top and rear.

Updated link for the UK: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/P7K7YJ,NvphP6/

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

Wouldn't that be negative air pressure ? (More exhaust than intake)

It would, but you said you wanted five fans. Taking away one of the top exhausts would leave you with neutral pressure and still plenty of airflow.

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

Sorry I didn't mean I want 5 fans I want to know what's the best? Is it to have two front one back and none at the top or all 5 fans

I'd go with two up front and one in the back. If you have more than one powerful graphics card, you should probably add one to the top as well.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from SamuelMeller : "Pc case fan"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from SamuelMeller : "Pc case fan"

The whole positive or negative pressure thing is completely blown (no pun intended) out of proportion.
Only if your case was perfectly sealed would it truley make any significant difference.
Since cases are not only not sealed but often have many mesh holes this is all but irrlevent.

As long as enough cool air can get in, and you can get the hot air out that is all that is important.
Dust filters, cable management and case design will make more of a true impact then postive vs negative pressure (at least at the level a few PC fans can provide)

gergguy

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Actually because cases have cracks and mesh holes is precisely why you should try to have positive air pressure (that is if you have filters over your intake fans). That way dust only comes in through the filters and not through the cracks and holes.

SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

Okay thanks, I think I'm going to get 3 fans for now just because it does cost a bit. Also I only have one fan slot on my motherboard what fan hub do you recommend ?
Also on my motherboard I have 4 pin the fans I'm getting are 3 pin what shall I do

I'm back. Sorry for the wait.

Anyways, you're going to want something that gives you at least four connectors just in case you wish to add more fans later. I found an eight way PWM splitter on Newegg for the same price as the four way splitter from the same company. This one has one genuine advantage over the others which is that it has a Molex connector to draw the fans power straight from the power supply and let the motherboard control speed. This is much more friendly since running more than two fans off of a single motherboard header could overload power delivery circuitry on the motherboard.

3-pin fans on a 4-pin connector? No problem. Just plug them in. If they roar to life at full speed, you may need to go into BIOS and set the motherboard to control them via voltage (used for 3-pin fans) rather than PWM (used for 4-pin fans).

Solution