Question PC Case is getting hot but sensors read low

Apr 8, 2019
When my computer is under load for a long time, for example playing BFV for 1-2 hours, it gets real hot. When I touch the case externally (behind of CPU) it's unusually hot. It shut down once due to high temp (I'm guessing) and didn't boot up again until it's cooled off.

This started to happen 2 weeks ago, up until then I had no issues and were able to play BFV or similar games with silent fan profile without any heating issues.

When I take reading from CPU, GPU, Motherboard, Water Cooler etc. everything is within or under limits.

I had XMP (Asus auto overclocking) profile in motherboard and Asus AI Suite. Loaded optimized defaults in mobo and uninstalled Asus AI Suite just in case.

However it's still same ( I feel like it's better but still gets unusually hot). I know airflow in the case is good, it's been good for over a year now.

When I physically touched motherboard, CPU water cooler and other places within the case they are not hot.

Considering nothing has changed and all the sensors read well, fan design (air flow) works well, what can be the problem?

• 14-Core Intel Core i9-7940X, 2200 MHz (22 x 100)
  • Motherboard Name Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
  • X299-E Gaming Corsair 32GB RAM RTX 2080 Ti
  • Corsair Water Cooler

Apr 8, 2019
Open the case, perhaps your airflow is not as good as you envision if the case is getting physically hot to the touch....

I thought about this but it worked perfectly fine for about a year. What might have caused the change, I haven't opened or moved the case for ages.

Apr 8, 2019
I've also now checked that case's temp (outside 42c) and guard on upper side of CPU (gray piece on the upperside of CPU) is about 52c. Measured with surface digital thermometer.

So it seems like motherboard is overheating, but all the voltages etc. should be the motherboard's default, so no overclocking.