Pc case shock..

Guillermofletes

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
31
0
1,530
0
So i just got my new case (nzxt s340) in the mail today and i opened it and touched the power button and got a little shock. Do you think i damaged any of the buttons or anything? Please let me know.. thank you! (Btw it was just the case nothing else)

Should i be worried about anything?
 

Guillermofletes

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
31
0
1,530
0


Alright thanks! if anybody else reading this post has anything to add to this.. please do :) all info is appreciated!
 

Guillermofletes

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
31
0
1,530
0


so you mean it shouldn't hurt the case power button/usb/headset port right? i just want to be 200% sure lol. thanks for the reply
 
So you are saying no components were installed into the case, and that it wasn't connected to the wall outlet? If that is the case, then you just discharged a bit of built up static electricity and no harm has been done. But, if you live in a dry climate where static electricity is a problem, take this into account when you actually start assembling everything as static electricity could cause damage to individual components. You can look at YouTube videos on methods of grounding yourself when putting together a computer.
 

Guillermofletes

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
31
0
1,530
0


Yes there were no components. I literally just took the case out of the box and just touched the power button of the case once. (im still waiting for my other components to arrive to my house) Also i live in florida so if you can tell me if florida is dangerous that would be great. Also i bought an anti-static wrist strap that should be coming tomarrow. Is it safe to just connect the anti-static wrist strap to the case to ground my self? if so where would i connect it to on the case? Btw thank you for this info i appreciate it.
 
Here is a link to a video of someone using an anti-static wrist strap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5a3mSElSw


I'm sure there are a bunch of others out there. If you live in Florida, then static shouldn't generally be a problem, unless a dry, cold front has pushed through, or you have the heating system in your house on, which will tend to dry out the air.

I live in Southeast Texas, and have never used a wrist strap when working on computers. I put them on a wooden desk, and have a wood floor in that part of the house. If you walk around on a carpet with wool socks on, then you could build up a static charge.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS