[SOLVED] PC Case Shocking me

Hoobly

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
So recently I upgraded a few parts for my family's PC and moved it into a new case. I'm currently using the Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed as the new chassis. From what I know this case uses integrated standoffs. One of the notable parts I upgraded to was a Seasonic X Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular. I plugged everything to the according ports and reassured everything is firmly in placed on the PSU and motherboard. So upon plugging in the power chord into the PSU, a few seconds later my hand lightly touched the ODD and I got some sort vibrating tingling shock on my hand, it didn't hurt, but it caused that sort of feeling. The thing is the PC hasnt even been turned on and the PSU was set to off the whole time. I unplugged it and looked at every cable the next day. From what I saw, nothing was placed improperly and everything was in their proper ports. So I tried plugging the power chord again and this time I got shocked on the front panel and back panel of the case while the PC and PSU were off the whole time. Same feeling as the one previously.

Notable Details:
Outlets here are mostly two pronged in my country, so my power chord only has two prongs attached.
I did not work on a conductive surface.
Previous case along with the old PSU did not have this sort of problem.
As of today, I have not pressed the power button.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Bad power supply
Pinched wire
MB standoff touching a trace
Component failure

If you have a meter, measure case to ground. Voltage present may be a clue to cause.
Disconnect all wires to power supply (unplugged from the wall) and turn back on, if there is still volts on case look at power supply.
Plug in 1 cable at a time with power removed then see if voltage is back.
Bad power supply
Pinched wire
MB standoff touching a trace
Component failure

If you have a meter, measure case to ground. Voltage present may be a clue to cause.
Disconnect all wires to power supply (unplugged from the wall) and turn back on, if there is still volts on case look at power supply.
Plug in 1 cable at a time with power removed then see if voltage is back.

Solution