[SOLVED] PC Chasis Fans

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hi, I am going to build a new pc and now I was wondering something about the air flow of the pc
My future pc case (MasterCase H500) has preinstalled 2 × 200mm Fans in the front whick are intakes and 1 × 120mm exhauste fan in the back. So, I am going to buy 1 more 200mm fan (the same with the others) and put it in the top of the case. Should it be an exhaust fan in order to balance a bit the exhausting air (helping the 120mm fan) or should it be intake in order to have more intake air providing positive air pressure (Am I right here?)? What are your suggestions? Also I wil have an air cpu cooler of 120mm which intakes air to its heatsink (Cryorig H7). Thanks...

Solution

I think CM includes the filter on top for when you want to use a top mount AIO Cooler so that it will filter the incoming air before being passed through the fans and radiators. As you're planning on pushing pre-filtered exhaust air through it dust shouldn't be to much of an issue unlike if it were being used for intake air.

For reference, my Corsair case has...

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hi Ioanis, for your case I'd say you'd be okay going with a 200mm top exhaust fan.

The front fans will provide plenty of air for the system to keep cool and the combination of a 120mm and 200mm fan as exhaust will move the hot air out relatively easily. Just note that the top exhaust fan will see a slight performance hit as it's pushing through a filter.

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Ok thank you a lot, so the top filter is mainly to prevent dust for dropping in and not to prevent dust by being intaken from q fan. To make it simpler, I mean that Cooler Master has made this top magnetic dust filter in order to avoid the dust which may fall because of the gravity. Right? Or is it in order to put an intake fan, so it won't suck dust. Thank you again.

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018

I think CM includes the filter on top for when you want to use a top mount AIO Cooler so that it will filter the incoming air before being passed through the fans and radiators. As you're planning on pushing pre-filtered exhaust air through it dust shouldn't be to much of an issue unlike if it were being used for intake air.

For reference, my Corsair case has something similar for its top panel and I'm sure given how tight the weave is on the mesh it's meant to act as filter for incoming air. But like you I use my top for exhausting the case.

Solution