PC completely dead after normal shutdown but works fine outside of case

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Pc is around 2-3 months old. Few days ago i woke up and when i went to start my pc ( i shut down the pc when i go to bed) there were was absolutely no sign of life. No fans, lights or anything would happen when i tried to start it. I tried various things like switching electrical outlets, resetting cmos, removing anything but the cpu and 1 stick of ram and absolutely nothing. I also tested the psu with a paperclip and it works fine so i assume it was the motherboard/

Yesterday i go about disassembling the pc to send the motherboard for RMA and when I tested it outside the system it works completely fine. So i put everything back in the case and the pc started again and was back to normal. So i shut it down (after a few hours of use) to go to bed and same thing happens as last time when i try to start it again. No signs of life
I am really confused what the issue is here. The system worked completely fine outside the case and yesterday before shutdown so it doesn't seem like its any of the parts. could it be something to do with when i shut down the pc?

Here are the parts:-
Phanteks p400s tempered ( standoffs are preinstalled)
Gigabyte b350 gaming 3
Ryen 5 1600
Gigabyte rx 580 aorus 8g
2 monitors - Dell and Lg. connected with a hdmi and displayport cable
Any help is appreciated

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

I didn't consider that but i will definetly look into it. One thing i forgot to mention though is that i also tried to start the pc by briding the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver which doesn't work when inside the case but does outside. Do you think that is relevant to the case being the issue?

It could be that a components circuits are touching the metal inside the case and shorting out.

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

Hmm. DO you know how i can go about fixing this. The standoffs are preinstalled and im pretty sure i mounted the motherboard correctly

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
As Jaslion said, its a short.
Possibly its something internal to the case wiring.
Possibly its the MB touching where it shouldnt.
Does it look like any side of the MB is lower than it should be?
Does it look like the MB is uneven?

Did you do anything to the PC right before it started malfunctioning?

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

Would yu mind looking at the pics i posted in my previous comment. As for your questions mb doesn't seem lower than it should be as it fits into the io shield perfectly, I did notice that the bottom half of the mb bends upward a bit more than the top half when i was mounting the motherboard after i tested it outside the case. In terns of doing to the pc the only think knew was that i recently got a 2nd monitor so i have two connected to the gpu., One with hdmi and one with display port

What psu is that?

Also most backplates have these tiny metal pieces sticking out of them I've had it in the past where someon woul've correctly assebled their pc but on of those got bent and touched the motherboard and caused shorting.

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

This one - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/21502?gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac-hEfnmnw8tRbpibkI5X5m5SWjIFtpfxBHfGBt5dgiP7-pfXXMnCaRoCn0MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And do you mean the backplate on the motherboard? If so i will take a look and see if i can find any bent ones

orlarn

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks everyone for the advice but when i removed the motherboard and tested it it was compeltly dead this time.

I will purchase another motherboard and send this one back for an refund. Hopefully i won't encounter these issues with the next motherboard

Thanks