Question (SOLVED) pc completely dead, have tried almost everything

Oct 1, 2022
hello. my pc completely shut off a month ago and after spending $800 to try and fix the issue and replacing half of my pc, it still won’t turn on with a GPU inside. i’m at a complete loss.

it’s kind of a complicated story, but to cut it short, my pc died a month ago, ive tried replacing most of the parts, trying my friends parts, trying my parts in my friends pc, etc.

my pc has been in perfect health for 3 years and has worked like butter from the beginning. i have never had any issues, my pc bluescreened when i tried to overclock stuff thru the BIOS, but that is quite literally it.

anyway, my pc ONLY BOOTS (i havent booted with a monitor connected yet) when it does NOT have a GPU inside. fans, motherboard, everything turns on just fine, but the moment i put ANY GPU inside (i have tried FOUR different GPUs) absolutely nothing happens when i press the power button. a subtle click of the PSU, but otherwise it is completely dead and unresponsive.

i have tried:
3 different motherboards (b450 pro carbon and b450-A pro max and one the PC repair guy lent me), tried both with and without several different GPUs and in different slots.
4 different GPUs - my original GPU caught fire when i tried to test it without the PCIE plugged into it 2 weeks after my PC died. it also didn’t work in my friend’s PC prior to this happening, it prevented his PC from booting as well. i tried a 1060, a possibly dead 2060, a 2070 super, and a GPU the PC repair guy tried, not sure what it was.
2 different sets of RAM
2 different PSUs (one bronze corsair 550W, one gold leadex 650W)

what i HAVEN’T tried is switching out the CPU since i do not have a spare or the money for a new one. could it be the CPU? the PC repair guy suggested my PC wouldn’t boot at ALL if it was the CPU, which it does just fine without a GPU plugged in.

i am at a complete and utter loss. it seems no matter what i do i can’t get my PC to boot with a GPU attached. i use my computer to work and i haven’t been able to in a month. suggestions, help, anything would be appreciated.

TLDR: PC refuses to boot or do anything if a GPU is attached, i’ve tried many different components and parts EXCEPT for my CPU. my original GPU prevented my friend’s healthy PC from booting, then caught fire when i tried to test it with no PCI-e plugged in. i desperately need suggestions.

here are the specs as well in a more compact list in case anyone needs them.

new specs:
MSI RTX 2070 super
16gb team t-force DDR4 RAM
super flower 650W gold leadex PSU
MSI B450-A PRO MAX
ryzen 5 2600x

old specs:
gigabyte RTX 2060
same RAM
corsair bronze 550W
MSI B450 pro carbon
ryzen 5 2600x

any help would be deeply appreciated. thank you ^_^

edit: hello! turns out my PCI-e cable was fried?
my gpu must've bricked and taken the cable with it somehow. my pc booted perfectly with the new cable in place AND a working gpu inside!!!! thank u for the suggestions!!! while it is EXTREMELY disappointing the amount of time and money i’ve wasted just for it to be the cable, i’m so happy my PC works now. :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the processor used on your platform. As for your PSU's, what are the age of both units? Corsair is the brand of the unit, same story with SuperFlower, while bronze is the advertised 80+efficienciy rating of the unit. What is the model of said unit?

my original GPU prevented my friend’s healthy PC from booting, then caught fire when i tried to test it with no PCI-e plugged in.
Seems to me that you might've mixed cables on your PSU or that the PSU was on it's way out...unless you're referring to the GPU catching fire(?).

absolutely nothing happens when i press the power button. a subtle click of the PSU, but otherwise it is completely dead and unresponsive.
Typically this happens when either GPU or PCie cables are causing short and the SCP kicks in PSU (the click) refusing to start at all. Swapping the PSU should have fixed this unless there is something else going on like bad GPU actively killing PSUs PCIe line. Assuming your friend still willing to help (after starting fire in his machine) I would take Super flower PSU into his PC with a known working GPU - if I'm correct it should not boot (if PSU is modular then please take note of used cables/ports as some combinations of those might work while others don't).

Oct 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the processor used on your platform. As for your PSU's, what are the age of both units? Corsair is the brand of the unit, same story with SuperFlower, while bronze is the advertised 80+efficienciy rating of the unit. What is the model of said unit?

my original GPU prevented my friend’s healthy PC from booting, then caught fire when i tried to test it with no PCI-e plugged in.
Seems to me that you might've mixed cables on your PSU or that the PSU was on it's way out...unless you're referring to the GPU catching fire(?).

oh woops! i forgot to add that. it’s a ryzen 5 2600x. the corsair psu is 3 years old (may 2019) and the super flower psu is brand new. the corsair PSU is a CX550M.

i tested my 2060 with the new psu in my own pc after i tested it in my friends pc and his one didnt boot, if thats what you mean? it caught fire in my case shortly after when i tested it, it wasn’t plugged into the psu, just the board.

sorry if i missed anything! i really appreciate the responses and help

Oct 1, 2022
Typically this happens when either GPU or PCie cables are causing short and the SCP kicks in PSU (the click) refusing to start at all. Swapping the PSU should have fixed this unless there is something else going on like bad GPU actively killing PSUs PCIe line. Assuming your friend still willing to help (after starting fire in his machine) I would take Super flower PSU into his PC with a known working GPU - if I'm correct it should not boot (if PSU is modular then please take note of used cables/ports as some combinations of those might work while others don't).
i will try that thank you!! ill try my old PSU as well, should i replace the PCIE cable? also to clarify, the GPU caught fire in my case, it was fine in his apart from his computer not booting only when my 2060 was in it, this was just before i tested it in my own computer, because at this point i was convinced my mobo was dead.

please let me know if i should clarify or try anything else!

Oct 1, 2022
I would be hesistant to try PSU I'm assuming is bad in working rig. Although it seems like its protections are working as intended so maybe it is not that dangerous. As for replacing PCIe cables, if you have some not previously used it is worth the try.
ok, ill try that, i really hope after all this time it isn’t just a cable issue…