PC completely freezes randomly (mouse,keyboard illuminated but not responding)

Tigerstrike

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hi there,
my problem : newly built pc freezes completely( and anytime gaming or no gaming ),i can hear the sound of cpu fan,mouse,keyboard are illuminated but not responding,desktop clock is stopped at the time of freeze.

solution : hit the reset button again on cabinet.

my spec : cpu FX8320(black edition),gpu asus R7 260X 2gb,mobo MSI 970A g46,ram corssair 4 gb,windows8 64 bit,

steps taken so far : 1:added another 160gb internal sata hdd,formatted ,installed windows 8,activated it,installed drivers (hence the dual boot win8 now). problem stilll occurs.
2: changed the psu (previously a 700 wt now a 550 wt,both supports my gpu). problem still occurs.
3: there is no BSOD ,checked event viewer (system,application logs with no warnings).checked the system for overheating but speedfan readings are normal.
4: i assembled the system myself 10 days back and didnot overclock,no idea if a black edition cpu is already overclocked or not.
5: under device manager usb root hub propertis unckecked the box " allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

i am kinda running out of ideas,any help would be great and highly appreciated .

p.s. did not update bios even though few suggested me to do so.did not do it as could not find any logical explanation why bios would caus such a problem.

Thanks in advance

make sure the mb has the newest bios file so it has the newest cpu and ram code. in the bios make sure the ram xmp profile is turned on. if your running two sticks of ram then take one out and run memtest86 from a boot cd or usb stick. if the stick is good after overnight run. swap ram see if ram has a bad spot. in the bios turn off the cpu cache and cores see if you have a bad cpu. if it not the cpu the last issue could be a bad vrm on the mb.

Tigerstrike

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
thanks for the quick reply,it's an one ram stick,will run memtest( even though seems a 10 day old / new ram shouldnt be bad)and gonna try to update bios too lets see what happens