Question PC completely freezes when playing games ?

dizzaster59

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
It's only for certain games, and I've done many tests and figured out somewhat of a fix to my problem, I underclock my GPU and if that still doesn't work I run the game in 720p and upscale it to 1920x1080 and cap the fps to 100. With the new battlefield beta none of this works, my headset makes a short static sound and the entire computer freezes the only thing I can do is hold the power button till it turns off. I've tried to fix this many times, reinstalled windows over 5 times on different drives, changed PCIe slot, removed ram, tried old drivers, new drivers, registry edit fixes, took apart everything and rebuilt it but I can't fix this problem, I checked event viewer and I think it's related to a directx error as I sometimes get error 0x887A0006. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this.

MSI z170a krait gaming 3X
MSI 1080 Gaming x 8g,
i7-6700k, ,
32gb ddr4 3000mhz,
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G,
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what version(not edition) are you on at the time of writing? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? How are you cooling that K suffix processor? When the issue crops up, can you take note of the temps for both the CPU and GPU?

dizzaster59

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
How old is the PSU in your build? Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what version(not edition) are you on at the time of writing? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? How are you cooling that K suffix processor? When the issue crops up, can you take note of the temps for both the CPU and GPU?
PC was built in 2016 so the PSU is about that old, the issue has been going on for about 2 years now so it's been through multiple Windows versions, I had windows 8.1 which got the windows 10 update for free and after the problem happened I used the windows installation tool and just ran unregistered windows while attempting to fix the problem, I couldn't fix it so I activated windows with a key I got online for cheap ,right now my windows is up to date. The bios version is 7A11v2B but I've tried every bios available on the MSI website, I don't overclock so I'm just cooling it with a 212 EVO, I've sat there with MSI afterburner and task manager open and waited to see what it looks like when it freezes but it just stays normal and stable, cpu temps hover 30-45c depending on load and gpu is 40-70c.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS