PC completely freezes.

Swearinbag

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Greetings,

My pc has been going on with this error for about a year or 2 now and I still haven't found a fix to the issue that during either idle or gaming my PC tends to just lock up. All 3 monitors frozen completely and my sound being frozen to a single tone.

I've done numerous GPU, memory and HDD tests. I've done DDU's over and over again hoping it would fix the issue.

Is there anything that I could test that I might have forgotten? Only thing is that I haven't reinstalled windows yet, which I might end up doing if there is no (helping/working) feedback.

My PC's stats:
CPU: I7-4970K
Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX2.0
MOBO: Asus Z87-A
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM750 (Gold)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Have you screwed around with any BIOS settings? Any cpu overclocking, overvolting, or undervolting? Memory overclocking? Usually when I see a PC lock up with no blue screen or error warning it's because of instability. A messed up windows install is probably also possible.

Swearinbag

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Not that I'm aware of, I'll definitelly reset bios to standard settings and report back ASAP! If that doesn't fix it I'll reinstall Windows!

Thanks already for the fairly quick reply

Swearinbag

Reputable
May 13, 2015

This might be true, I'm not sure yet. Still need to reset my bios! I'll let you know when I've done it.

Swearinbag

Reputable
May 13, 2015

CPU's were kind off weirdly organised. One was 44Ghz, 2 were 45 and one was 46. I've put them all at "sync all cores" and put them at 42.