Question PC completely freezing while gaming

May 15, 2021
Hello, I need support for a PC issue that's driving me insane.

Lately I got some weird PC freezes while gaming: as you can see in the video I am posting below, the PC totally freezes, even the RGB fans stop changing their color, the audio starts clipping like a broken record and the video just blocks like that. It happens randomly, and I just don't know what is the cause of this. The PC becomes unresponsive and nothing work except for the forced restart from the power button.
In this case (video) I was playing Elden Ring and after a good hour of gameplay, this happened. Other times, it happened sooner or even later.
I managed to fix this for some months just by switching the hybrid/normal mode on the back of the PSU... I don't know why, but that seemed to fix this... anyway, the problem is back.
I tried RAM test, CPU and GPU stress test that went PERFECTLY, so it's not something about them. The problem happens randomly during the days: some days it doesn't appear at all, some days the pc is unusable.

Things that might be important or not:
  • Most of the times it happens, Windows doesn't detect ANY problem at all, not hardware nor software. Anyway, sometimes I get an hardware error (LiveKernelEvent 141) and this "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered";
  • I replaced my old PSU (EVGA 600BR) which already gave me weird issues, like peripherals turning off and monitor not showing anything intermittently;
  • All components are new, and always worked fine. Here's the list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MOBO: B450M DS3H-CF , BIOS version: F61a
RAM 16GB DDR4 running a 2133 MHz (I tried raising this to 3200 MHz but what I got was a BSOD every time I tried to play any game)
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX550 (80 Gold Plus) (550W)
OS (W11) installed on SSD 500GB + another 1TB HDD

Here's the video of the issue:
View: https://imgur.com/Mr7p2vg

EDIT (21/03/22 - 16:40) - The PC crashed again after few minutes playing Nier: Automata, a game that I normally played for hours in the past months. This time what I saw was a simple restart, after a 15 seconds black screen. I just checked and there are a bunch of "hardware errors", all related to LiveKernelEvent 141 and 117.
This is getting worse very quickly.

Hope you can help me!

Last edited:

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello, I need support for a PC issue that's driving me insane.

Lately I got some weird PC freezes while gaming: as you can see in the video I am posting below, the PC totally freezes, even the RGB fans stop changing their color, the audio starts clipping like a broken record and the video just blocks like that. It happens randomly, and I just don't know what is the cause of this. The PC becomes unresponsive and nothing work except for the forced restart from the power button.
In this case (video) I was playing Elden Ring and after a good hour of gameplay, this happened. Other times, it happened sooner or even later.
I managed to fix this for some months just by switching the hybrid/normal mode on the back of the PSU... I don't know why, but that seemed to fix this... anyway, the problem is back.
I tried RAM test, CPU and GPU stress test that went PERFECTLY, so it's not something about them. The problem happens randomly during the days: some days it doesn't appear at all, some days the pc is unusable.

Things that might be important or not:
  • Most of the times it happens, Windows doesn't detect ANY problem at all, not hardware nor software. Anyway, sometimes I get an hardware error (LiveKernelEvent 141) and this "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered";
  • I replaced my old PSU (EVGA 600BR) which already gave me weird issues, like peripherals turning off and monitor not showing anything intermittently;
  • All components are new, and always worked fine. Here's the list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MOBO: B450M DS3H-CF , BIOS version: F61a
RAM 16GB DDR4 running a 2133 MHz (I tried raising this to 3200 MHz but what I got was a BSOD every time I tried to play any game)
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX550 (80 Gold Plus) (550W)
OS (W11) installed on SSD 500GB + another 1TB HDD

Here's the video of the issue:
View: https://imgur.com/Mr7p2vg

EDIT (21/03/22 - 16:40) - The PC crashed again after few minutes playing Nier: Automata, a game that I normally played for hours in the past months. This time what I saw was a simple restart, after a 15 seconds black screen. I just checked and there are a bunch of "hardware errors", all related to LiveKernelEvent 141 and 117.
This is getting worse very quickly.

Hope you can help me!
hey man did you fix your issue
Iam having same issue with Elden Ring
PLaying and BLACK SCREEN + gpu fans goes 100% loud