[SOLVED] PC completely frozen on startup after new CPU

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
My friend recently bought a new CPU (i7 9700k) to replace his old one (i5-6500). He soon found out that it didn't work (his motherboard wasn't compatible with his new CPU). To fix this, he thought resetting his BIOS would be a good idea, so he took the battery out for a few minutes and then replaced it. This didn't fix the issue so we decided to put the old CPU back in while the new motherboard arrived.

After putting the old CPU back in the PC would start as normal (apart from a few case fans not spinning) until it was time to load the desktop. Nothing loads, none of his startup programs load, you can't open task manager, it's completely useless. I initially thought that the cooler had not been replaced properly and that the CPU was throttling but the temperatures were fine (not sure about clock speeds, I'll ask him to check). We left it at this point as we had kind of come to the conclusion that resetting the BIOS had messed some things up and that it'd all be fixed with the new motherboard.

We tried the new motherboard and the exact same thing happens, The PC is completely unusable after start up. What could be causing this? It's still happening with a new CPU and motherboard so surely it isn't those? Could it just need a BIOS update, even though it happened on both types of motherboard?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Solution
GIGABYTE z270 Gaming K3 KabyLake and MSI z390 Gaming Plus

I am not seeing where the i7 9700k is compatible with the Gigabyte.
Look here>>>
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z270-Gaming-K3-rev-10/support#support-cpu
I don't see it.

As far as the MSI MB....it supports the 9700k....but it requires this BIOS 7B51v15.zip .....and this is not the earliest BIOS. There are at least two earlier ones.....and if that board has one of the earlier ones it needs to be upgraded.
GIGABYTE z270 Gaming K3 KabyLake and MSI z390 Gaming Plus

Look here>>>
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z270-Gaming-K3-rev-10/support#support-cpu
I don't see it.

As far as the MSI MB....it supports the 9700k....but it requires this BIOS 7B51v15.zip .....and this is not the earliest BIOS. There are at least two earlier ones.....and if that board has one of the earlier ones it needs to be upgraded.

Solution

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
Look here>>>
I don't see it.

He said he just updated the BIOS but I'm not sure which version he's done but it's still not working. I'll get him to update to that exact one. Thanks.