Question PC COMPLETLY freezes randomly. Not even power/reset buttons work.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 16, 2019
Hi!

First time actually registering and posting on this forum...

So my (older) PC that I bought used like a year ago started to have some weird random freezes while doing everyday tasks. I don't really know when it exactly started, probably months ago, but it wasn't so often so I didn't really care about it. It started happening more ofter recently.

Just a few mins ago I was on Chrome, 2 tabs open. Listening to music on Youtube and reading something. Suddenly the PC fully froze. The screen was not responding at all (but I could still see the picture, just nothing moved, e.g. clock). The sound started, I don't know how to explain, it froze, if you know what I mean. Keyboard and mouse - totally unresponsive. CTRL + ALT + DEL - nothing. Power and reset button do nothing at all too.

I was suspecting on my GPU at first, as the screen froze, but the sound did too, and headphones were connected straight to the motherboard.
I am now thinking that it's the PSU. I don't really have a spare one to verify, and I would like to spend 70$ on a decent PSU to see that PSU wasn't a problem at all...

Specifications:

CPU: Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz - idling at 30-40°C
MOBO: Intel DH67CL
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
GPU: Gainward GTX 960 Phantom 2GB - idling at 30°C - not overclocked (I did have it overclocked before, I returned to stock thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't...)
PSU: Spire 550W (SP-ATX-550WTB)
SSD: (Windows + apps) Kingston A400 240GB - 26°C - 99% health
HDD: (storage) 2x750GB WD Blue in RAID 0

Any help regarding this problem would be appreciated.