pc completly not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya pradhan

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
if i start my computer it comes written "reboot and select proper boot device" please help if i can do something myself to fix it up

Solution
Hi there aditya pradhan,

The first thing you need to do is to see whether the HDD is recognized by BIOS.
In case it is not, it has most probably failed. It will not hurt to connect it with different SATA and power cables to a different SATA port though.

In case the drive is recognized by BIOS, you can try what C12Friedman suggested about restoring MBR. In case this does not work, I guess you should download some HDD testing tool for DOS and test the drive. The results will eventually show you what is wrong with it.
You can use some data recovery tool for DOS and try to access the data stored on the drive as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
That message is usually associated with a failed hard drive or hard drive error such as a corrupted MBR (Master Boot Record). In most cases the data is still retrievable even so.
You can attempt a repair (this guide seems to be good but there are also others) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html if it is the MBR. If it isn't (or repairs don't work) you should be able to replace the hard drive (preferably with an SSD) and be up and running by doing that.

Hi there aditya pradhan,

The first thing you need to do is to see whether the HDD is recognized by BIOS.
In case it is not, it has most probably failed. It will not hurt to connect it with different SATA and power cables to a different SATA port though.

In case the drive is recognized by BIOS, you can try what C12Friedman suggested about restoring MBR. In case this does not work, I guess you should download some HDD testing tool for DOS and test the drive. The results will eventually show you what is wrong with it.
You can use some data recovery tool for DOS and try to access the data stored on the drive as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.