PC Components Combination

momma.koprivicapk

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Greetings, guys.

I've been searching for the right components for my new gaming PC for a while now, and i've found these 3 components for fair price and therefore i'm here to ask you: Are they compatible and will these components cause bottleneck to each other?

MOBO: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8C/16TH
GPU: nVidia GeForce 1050 TI 4gb

I'll be waiting for your answers.

Solution
Compatible? Yes.

IMO, the A320 chipset is doing a disservice to any Ryzen chip - they do really benefit from OCing.

As far as bottlenecking; there's always going to be *some* bottleneck in any system.... what matters, is whether you'll notice in your specific workload.

In this instance, the 1700 is a bit of a waste - the additional cores/threads are excessive for a "gaming" setup - 8/16 is complete overkill.
Realistically, the Ryzen5 1600 is the best 'bang for buck' in clock speed/core count/price metrics and, while 6c/12t is still overkill for strictly gaming - it should be more than sufficient for years at this point. The platform is very likely to be obsolete before you're even close to games being capable of utilizing...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Compatible? Yes.

IMO, the A320 chipset is doing a disservice to any Ryzen chip - they do really benefit from OCing.

As far as bottlenecking; there's always going to be *some* bottleneck in any system.... what matters, is whether you'll notice in your specific workload.

In this instance, the 1700 is a bit of a waste - the additional cores/threads are excessive for a "gaming" setup - 8/16 is complete overkill.
Realistically, the Ryzen5 1600 is the best 'bang for buck' in clock speed/core count/price metrics and, while 6c/12t is still overkill for strictly gaming - it should be more than sufficient for years at this point. The platform is very likely to be obsolete before you're even close to games being capable of utilizing >6c/12t.

The 1050TI is a bit underwhelming, when either the R7 or R5's will pair well with stronger GPUs, BUT in the current market, unless you luck out and can score a 6GB 1060 etc, for near MSRP, the 1050TI really is the 'sweet spot' in price vs performance.

Also note, for Ryzen platforms, you'll benefit significantly using RAM speeds >2666MHz (3000MHz being the 'sweet spot' here). >3000MHz is nice, but you start to see diminishing returns.

I'd suggest looking to something more like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VH PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($224.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $578.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-06 13:49 EST-0500

16GB would be beneficial too, but 8GB is workable for now.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that motherboard cant handle a 1700

ryzen is not something you want to get if all you want to do is gaming specifically either

look for an i3 8100 build to go along with that 1050 ti

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

While it's not an optimal choice, claiming it "cant handle a 1700" is just false.

While Ryzen isn't the best outright performer, it's a viable gaming rig - with a bit of an added core/thread buffer for future use, streaming etc.

The i3-8100 is a very nice gaming CPU - I have some reservations recommending it, just for potential (lack of) longevity. We're seeing the move to games utilizing >4 cores.... albeit not wholesale at this point. Very viable option today though.

An i3-8100 + Z370 board is a *minimum* $225. A Ryzen5 1500 + budget B350 motherboard runs nearer $250.
Given you can OC the 1600, still seems like the better option to me.

From a gaming standpoint, titles utilizing 4 cores or less, you'll see very similar performance (1% and .1%'s favouring the 8100), with the 1600 winning out on other titles*.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page3.html

*Paired with significantly stronger GPUs, of course..... so on the lower -end with a 1050TI, the variance will differ a bit more.

momma.koprivicapk

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thank you for your replies.

I've been reading a lot about both Intel and Ryzen CPUs for gaming, and i couldn't quite find which one is better.

Should i go for Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i3 8350k (heard it is great gaming CPU and easily overclockable)?

Thanks in advance!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Personally, I'd opt for the Ryzen5 1600 - see benchmarks above for an idea. They're really similar in performance (with the modern i3's taking a slight edge), but I suspect the 1600 will hold up better for future use (and more beneficial if you're potentially interested in streaming etc).

Both the 8350K and 1600 are "easy" to OC. The stock cooler of the 1600 will allow it though, whereas you'd need an aftermarket for the 8350K.

Ensure you opt for a B350 (or X370) board for the Ryzen though.