TheZeroageTM

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Haven’t posted on here in a while, because my PC hasn’t had problems for 4 years. Until now.

I upgraded my GPU from the 1060 (6Gb) to the 3060 TI OC, and I upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 7 1700x to the 3800x. Until I upgraded, I haven’t had any issues but now, my PC is acting very slow, and when it’s under load, It stops recognizing various hardware. It consistently drops connections to two of my HDD’s (and then reconnects to them), a lot of times windows will slow up and programs will freeze as well.

At one point when playing a game (FF14 in 4K with shaders so pretty gpu intensive), my GPU completely shut off, and I had to hard reset my PC.
Often, when resetting my PC, it will hang on the reset screen. When shutting it down, the displays will power off, but the PC will continue running. Same when I try to put it in sleep mode.

If it’s worth mentioning, my C drive stopped working yesterday (ssd) and I got blue screen on start up (error 0xc00000f) until I swapped sata ports to a pcie extension sata port, and that worked well until it didn’t (started getting MBR error). So I swapped it back to a motherboard sata port and it worked again.

Last night it seemed to work fine but it disconnected one of my HDDs, and it wouldn’t completely turn off until I held the power button.

Its weird to me cause everything has been working completely fine until I upgraded. I would think its the motherboard, but it’s weird how it started acting up coincidentally right after I upgraded. I think a possibility might be the PSU failing under stress, cause I have a 500w psu now and some Psu calculators say that’s too little, some say it’s just enough for the specs I have. I’ll end by listing my specs, but if anyone has a clue for what’s going on, help would be appreciated! Thanks.

SPECS:
  • Ryzen 7 3800x
  • Gigabyte B450 Ds3h (yes my bios is updated)
  • Evga RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • 32GB DDr4 (8x4)
  • 3x Samsung 850 (1TB) SSDs
  • 2x WD Blue (these disconnect often)
  • 1x Seagate HDD (2TB)
  • NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
  • NZXT H510
  • Thermaltake 500w PsU
PS my CPU runs at 35c on idle & high 60s under load so I’m sure it’s not overheating.

Solution
You upgraded to components that use more wattage, but you didn't upgrade one of the most important components of your system.

You need minimum a 550W reliable PSU.
I am afraid that unit is neither.
You upgraded to components that use more wattage, but you didn't upgrade one of the most important components of your system.

You need minimum a 550W reliable PSU.
I am afraid that unit is neither.

Last edited:
Solution

TheZeroageTM

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
A good quality 600W will be sufficient and if you find a 650W even better.
Sometimes they are similar priced and if you decide to upgrade it will still work.
What's your budget?

Ideally I’d like to spend as little as possible Lol but I’m thinking of getting this evga one? I’ll post a link but it’s a 600w and it’s on sale at Best Buy so I can pick it up on my way home from work tonight.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-w...262uSVhk5LCF_zZX5PgaAotBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds