[SOLVED] PC components turn on, but no post or display signal

Jul 14, 2020
Hello everybody,

Here are my current components:
  • RTX 2060 (NEW)
-Gskill Ram
-ASUS Z-390e
-

So a quick notice, my motherboard was recently RMA'd for a faulty chipset. I got it back about 1 week ago and the system has been doing good so far (slight issues but overall performing good).
As I was going to turn off my pc, I flipped the psu powerswitch to turn it off. When I flipped the switch back to on and powered the system, I was getting no display nor were my peripherals receiving any power. At this point, idk what to do, I've tried resetting CMOS, reinstalling ram, reseating my GPU, etc... I have since then gotten a new PSU and the problem still pertains. Also, the EZDEBUG Led indicators do not turn on so I cannot tell which component is experiencing issues.

Solution
I appreciate the tips and help. The reason I have been using the powerswitch to turn off the pc is because the shutting it down would never fully turn it off. The PC would be left in a sort of sleep mode where all the RGB and fans would be on but the system would not be responsive.
For this, you disable hibernation/hybrid sleep, as follows:

To disable Hibernation:
  1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. ...
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt.

The G3 is a good PSU, so barring any freakish type...
First of all, there is no reason, EVER, to flip off the switch on the power supply unless you are planning to replace the PSU or you are working inside the case and need to make sure there is no power going to anything. OR if there is a lightning storm in the area in which case you will want to shut down normally, flip the switch off and then UNPLUG the unit from the wall. Just flipping off the switch may not protect the PSU or your computer from a direct or close strike that results in a surge.

For normal use, you do not shut off the system using the switch on the power supply NOR should you ever be flipping that off every time you shut down. It is recommended that you DON'T do it, because it is unnecessary, and as you've seen, can cause problems. Especially if you are using that switch as though it was the power button on your case, which it is not, and should never be used that way.

If the debug LEDs are not coming on on the motherboard, then there is a problem WITH the motherboard, OR you have incorrectly connected something from the power supply to the board (In which case, there is a good chance that if there wasn't something wrong with the board before, there is now) OR failed to connect something that should be connected. Chipsets don't normally just "fail" like that, so it's likely that there is something faulty, shorted, not installed correctly, etc.

It might be a good idea to bench test it, but to be honest it is probably pointless if there are no DEBUG LEDs then either the power supply is not connected correctly, the board is shot, there are bent pins on the board (Still means shot) or something is connected wrong and is shorting something out. It could also simply be that the PSU has failed.

What PSU did you have BEFORE, and what do you have NOW. Please give exact model numbers, not "some 500w EVGA PSU". If it's a G3 550w for example, then say G3 550w.

Reactions: Deggrolls
Jul 14, 2020
First of all, there is no reason, EVER, to flip off the switch on the power supply unless you are planning to replace the PSU or you are working inside the case and need to make sure there is no power going to anything. OR if there is a lightning storm in the area in which case you will want to shut down normally, flip the switch off and then UNPLUG the unit from the wall. Just flipping off the switch may not protect the PSU or your computer from a direct or close strike that results in a surge.

For normal use, you do not shut off the system using the switch on the power supply NOR should you ever be flipping that off every time you shut down. It is recommended that you DON'T do it, because it is unnecessary, and as you've seen, can cause problems. Especially if you are using that switch as though it was the power button on your case, which it is not, and should never be used that way.

If the debug LEDs are not coming on on the motherboard, then there is a problem WITH the motherboard, OR you have incorrectly connected something from the power supply to the board (In which case, there is a good chance that if there wasn't something wrong with the board before, there is now) OR failed to connect something that should be connected. Chipsets don't normally just "fail" like that, so it's likely that there is something faulty, shorted, not installed correctly, etc.

It might be a good idea to bench test it, but to be honest it is probably pointless if there are no DEBUG LEDs then either the power supply is not connected correctly, the board is shot, there are bent pins on the board (Still means shot) or something is connected wrong and is shorting something out. It could also simply be that the PSU has failed.

What PSU did you have BEFORE, and what do you have NOW. Please give exact model numbers, not "some 500w EVGA PSU". If it's a G3 550w for example, then say G3 550w.
I appreciate the tips and help. The reason I have been using the powerswitch to turn off the pc is because the shutting it down would never fully turn it off. The PC would be left in a sort of sleep mode where all the RGB and fans would be on but the system would not be responsive.

Anyways, the motherboard pins seem perfectly fine. All connections are in, and the PSU is fully connected. I'm assuming the MOBO is dead since the DEBUG LEDs are non-responsive, I've already ordered a new MOBO and should be arriving soon. Before this occurred, the system had a CX 750M (5-6 years old) and this is the PSU that the system had when it stopped working. I suspected the PSU failed so I ordered a new one, the G3 650W. Unfortunately, still experiencing failures.

For some more insight, for the week that I had the RMA'd board, I was experiencing issues such as no availability to enter BIOS , VGA led lights was always on (even when system was working), As I said before, the PSU needed to be flipped off for the system to fully turn off.

For this, you disable hibernation/hybrid sleep, as follows:

To disable Hibernation:
  1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. ...
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt.

The G3 is a good PSU, so barring any freakish type incident, I'd expect as you do, that the PSU is not the problem. Probably the motherboard that they supposedly "fixed".

Solution