[SOLVED] PC components turning on but there is no signal on my monitor and the USB ports do not work

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
So I have just returned to my home country after 2 months overseas. No one has used or even touched my computer, but for some reason it will not connect to my monitor and none of the USB ports work. I have taken out the ram and put it in different slots many times, checked for dust or broken pins anywhere and made sure that everything is plugged in correctly but after a couple hours of this I am now fed up. The computer worked fine before I left and I have no idea what could have caused this issue.

Specs: Gtx 1070,i5-6600k, 2x8gb 2400 ram, 2 HDD’s and one SSD and a sea sonic 80+ gold 659 watt psi.

Solution
Were you able to boot into safe mode with all drives but the boot drive disconnected?

Try removing the GPU and boot via the motherboard's integrated video ports.

Ralston18

Titan
How and where was your computer stored?

Any interim power connections: e.g., surge protectors, power strips, extension cords, etc..? If so, remove them and try booting with computer directly connected to the wall outlet.

Disconnect all drives but the boot drive - try booting again.

If not successful with a normal boot are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Try a new CMOS battery.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
Firstly thanks four your reply. I’m definitely going to attempt all of your suggestions and I will report back after. In terms of the power connections I use a power strip for my monitor and my pc and during my own attempts to solve I used a different extension cord in another room so plugging it directly in to the wall may work.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
How and where was your computer stored?

Any interim power connections: e.g., surge protectors, power strips, extension cords, etc..? If so, remove them and try booting with computer directly connected to the wall outlet.

Disconnect all drives but the boot drive - try booting again.

If not successful with a normal boot are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Try a new CMOS battery.
Also forgot to add where my pc is stored. It’s in one of those desks with the specific cutout for a desktop pc. There is usually a fair amount of dust on the exterior of the case but internally it seemed clean.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
on the front panel or on the back ?
or both?
Both unfortunately. When I plug my mouse in it flashes (the led steel series logo or whatever it is), the headset produces no sounds at all during the boot up nor does the mic playback work and also my keyboard seems to light up to the default rgb preset although it doesn’t appear to be functional as the windows lock and brightness buttons on my keyboard (which usually change colour on button press) do nothing.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Both unfortunately. When I plug my mouse in it flashes (the led steel series logo or whatever it is), the headset produces no sounds at all during the boot up nor does the mic playback work and also my keyboard seems to light up to the default rgb preset although it doesn’t appear to be functional as the windows lock and brightness buttons on my keyboard (which usually change colour on button press) do nothing.
if you still have a warranty, better claimed it
especially the motherboard
or take it to the service center

Ralston18

Titan
I am leaning towards a PSU problem.

However, more information is needed.

What make and model motherboard: any beeps or status LED's lit?

Just as a side note those desk cutouts can be problematic especially if the necessary cooling air flows are being restricted.

Heat is an enemy of electronics and it may only be coincidental that the computer failed when you returned after two months. The computer (or some component) just simply would have failed on the next boot up....

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
I am leaning towards a PSU problem.

However, more information is needed.

What make and model motherboard: any beeps or status LED's lit?

Just as a side note those desk cutouts can be problematic especially if the necessary cooling air flows are being restricted.

Heat is an enemy of electronics and it may only be coincidental that the computer failed when you returned after two months. The computer (or some component) just simply would have failed on the next boot up....
So the motherboard is a z270 from asus, I can’t quite remember anything more specific than that unfortunately. There is one green light on the motherboard that is active whilst the pc is turned on that I would describe as being beside where the motherboard is plugged into the psu. I haven’t heard any beeps or anything and the led described prior (apart from my gpu led) is the only led in the pc.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
Now
Were you able to boot into safe mode with all drives but the boot drive disconnected?

[/QUOT

ok so it doesn’t boot with the gpu in. Does this mean I need a one? I used a different pci cable from the psu but the same pci slot so maybe I’ll try that.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017

Okay so now the problem is that it only boots with my ssd plugged in (the boot drive). I’ve tried each of my other hdds seperately with the ssd but they don’t work.

ooft123

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017

Okay! So. I turns out that either one of my hard drives or the sata cable used for that hard drive is faulty. The only problem I have now is that my cpu usage is higher than usual, but im sure that is something unrelated. Thanks for all your help guys.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

And remember that you can use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Process Explorer, and Process Monitor to determine what is running up the CPU usage.

A higher % is not necessarily bad per se as long as the overall system performance is not being hindered.