PC configuration request for Photo and Video editing

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Please note, I have posted the following request about a year back and I was more or less, unanimously advised to wait for AMD Ryzen launch. As the CPU is launched in the market, I am posting my request again for kind help from my fellow members. Thank you in advance.

I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:

Budget: INR 40K~50K (actually, I have to source everything locally, so global online buying sites won't work)

Existing hardware setup:

1. Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz+ASUS P5B-VM MB+CoolerMaster Processor Fan

2. HDDs- 1 IDE (80GB), 3 SATAII (160GB, 250GB, 500GB), 1 SATAIII (1TB), LG DVD writer

3. 5GB DDR2 RAM (1+1+1+2)

4. XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM

5. SMPS- 460W Dual rail power supply (CoolerMaster)

6. LG 25" IPS monitor

7. JBL speaker

Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep:

Monitor, SMPS, Speakers, DVD writer and HDDs

Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Graphics card

Plans to upgrade in the future: no, I like to make it future proof, as much as possible.

Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata, India

The intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] :

1. General PC usage

2. Extensive use of editing Photos (12bit, 24MB RAW) and Videos (I am a professional photographer). So I use resource heavy software like Ps, Lr etc.

3. Gaming - very rare

4. Movie watching

Brand preferences: anything but ASUS, though Gigabyte is preferred.

Monitor resolution and size: do not need one

Will you be overclocking your setup?: absolutely NOT

Which OS will you use?: Windows 10

I already have an i5 laptop (HP 15-ay503TX Laptop [6th Gen Intel Core i5- 8GB RAM- 39.62cm(15.6) Full HD- 1TB HDD- 2GB Graphics], but even this is not that fast while processing my RAW files.

I thinking about at least 32GB RAM, a good Graphics Card and Intel Core i7/AMD Ryzen (though I have no idea about this processor as it is very new) processor. I can not compromise on processing power as that would mean longer processing time for each RAW file that I need to edit. So actually, I need a "lightning fast" PC. :)

I intend to retain the Monitor, Speakers and HDDs for sure. Though I may have to ditch the IDE one, as it seems newer MBs do not incorporate IDE ports. I am not so sure about the Graphics card, whether to keep it or not.

Thank you

considering you have been using a computer that has been literally in the stone age of computing. and based on your price range of 50K
I have pulled out what I think is best solution.
I have kept your 1TB SATIII as a "backup drive" yes its from older system but, I hate seeing a system without a backup system going on.
unless you have specific reason to have 6 drives (not stated in original email) I consolidated your drives into a 250gb SSD for OS/Application and a 2TB for documents and processing drive for photos and movies.
the video card is sufficient having a 1050ti or 1060-1070 will through you out of budget in a very rapid way.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: 1TB SATA III Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GT 730 4GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - RM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

What is that currency?

Dude I've been looking and you are not getting an i7 build for that price and 32GB of ram is over half your budget. You'd be lucky to get 16GB with an i5 and no GPU

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello @The Paladin

Thank you so much for your reply and help.

As I have mentioned, I already have an i5 Laptop with 8GB DDR4, but that still falls quite inadequate while trying to 12but 24MB RAW images from my Nikon. Considering that, will Ryzen 5 1600, the one you have suggested, make much of a difference in performance for the money I shall be spending?

Unfortunately, though I have limited financial resources, I try to make the PC as much future proof as possible. So is this configuration reasonably future proof?

There is one more option I have, my sister has an AMD Fx6 processor system (the details of which I have to find out) which she does not use anymore and I may upgrade that with an 8/16GB memory module. Would that be a better option?

Thank you again for your help.

SroyC,

what model of i5 does the laptop have?

As for the abilities of the Ryzen 5 1600, lets compare it to that FX6300 you mention and your current Do Core 2 1.8Mhz ,using passmark web site, where millions of people use the performance tool and uplkoad their information passmark has these numbers to looks at 2 which I want you to pay attention, your Duo Core has 2 core and 0 threads 2 cores total) , FX 6300 has 3 core and 3 threads (6 cores total) and finally the Ryzen 1600 has 6 cores and 6 threads (12 cores), making the ryzen the much superior cpu between the three.
Also the final cpu score in the blue box compare the abilities of your current cpu, the one offered for free and what the ryzen is capable.
6aXDEuW.png

as for future proofing, if you lasted with aq duo core for the last 10 years, the ryzen will do you right in the future.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thank you so very much for replying and taking time to explain things to me. Frankly speaking, I would have loved to upgrade to an i7 few years back, but sadly, these things are quite costly and hence some unfortunate lot like us have to manage with whatever best we can get out of a system, more so.

Regarding the Laptop, please find the screenshots of CPUZ for details about my system:

3gXYsvd.jpg

2La7qkH.jpg

KW2dc1U.jpg

dB6LkPf.jpg

gw4tLHP.jpg

I bought this laptop as my bid to upgrade, and I expected an i5 system with 8GB RAM should be enough to process RAW images in an acceptable duration of time, but sadly it failed miserably and I have no idea why!

Thanks again.

well laptops are not designed for that kind of work load as the graphic card is just not going to handle it
when doin photo /video processing you need a) 16GB ram) b) good video card

people fail to understand, Windows 7 o,8,10 requirements is 4GB of ram to RUN.
then add apps, mouse drivers, etc and then your program or 3 loaded into ram and you have maybe 1 or 2Gb of ram free to do the processing.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thank you again for your explanation.

Does this mean that even if I add another 8GB RAM to my Laptop, it still won't be suitable for my work?

I am going to take quotation for all the parts you have mentioned from some local shops (generally prices are lower for computer parts in offline shops here), till then, I am thinking of using my sister's PC as a stop-gap solution. I am going to add my hard drives to that, and also the old graphics card. What would be your opinion on that?

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
A little update:

Crucial RAMs are neither available online or Offline in my country. The availability of the Graphics card and motherboard is also questionable.
The stores are suggesting the following

GIGABYTE AX370M- GAMING 3

GSKILL TRIDENZ 3000MHZ 16GB DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA 4GB GT730 GRAPHIC

Please comment on the above mentioned replacement parts.

The things is, when a tore makes a motherboard and ram recommendation and they dont even bother to check what speeds the motherboard accepts for ram, I would go buy stuff elsewhere.
the Gigabyte motherboard they suggest can handle DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 / 2933 / 3200 ram
Do you nothing is mentioning 3000mhz ?? that's because it doesn't.

yes the ram can run on it, and it will run at 2133, then you will have to manually tweak that ram speed until you maybe get it stable at 2666 or 2933, and this will not be easy...

Get 2666 or 3200 ram instead and be done with issues and problem
ref motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#sp

as for video, sure the GT 730 is an improvement over your decrepit HD4700 512MB, but get at least a GT 1030 or GTX 750ti

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Thank you for your response and clarification. If I am not mistaken, you had suggested GT730 in your original post with all the suggested parts. I shall surely search for 750ti but 1030 is extremely pricey.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Here is the update

It seems that 2666MHz RAM modules are out of the market, available are 2400MHz, 3000MHz and 3200MHz (very few).

There is still a doubt, it seems that Ryzen 2nd Generation CPUs are launched in the market and Photoshop prefers Clock speed over Cores. So, will AMD Ryzens serve my purpose better than Intel CPUs?

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
As 2nd Generation Ryzen CPUs are available in the market, should I replace the Ryzen 5 1600 with 2600 in the configuration suggested? Please answer as I am very near of completing my purchase.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Here is the lowest quotation:

AMD build:

Ryzen 2600x - 15800/-
x470 board Rog Strix Asus- 15000/-
x470 Board from Gigabyte- 12200/- (not in stock, will be available by the end of this month)

Intel Build:

i7 8700k - 23200/-
i7 8700 - 19300/-
Z370 HD3P gigabyte - 11400/-
Cooler for 8700k - 2500/- (not sure about the exact model)

Common Components:

16GB 3000MHz Ram Corsair- 12350/-
CM K380 case - 2400/-
Corsair 550W SMPS - 2750/-
730 GPU 4GB DDR3 - 5300/-
1030 GPU 2GB DDR5 - 6500/-

All the above prices are excluding GST.

Do I actually need a separate/discrete GPU in either case?
Does i7 not require a discrete GPU?

Please comment on the above builds. It is pretty interesting that there is not that much of a difference in cost between the two systems, though I am not sure how much performance improvements will be there for the extra money spent on the Intel i7 system!

I am going to finalize once I have more or less a conclusive discussion here.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello friends

At last, the computer is up and running.

I bought the following:

Ryzen 2600x
Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K3
Corsair Vengence LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz
Corsair CX650W
CM K380
Kingston 120GB SSD
MSI GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Why did I finally choose the above:

Processor: Ryzen 2600x provides the best value for money for my work. I could go for i7 for higher cost, but the iGPU would not have been enough for my future use, and a discrete GPU would come necessary. Moreover, I would require a cooler separately for i7, and an equivalent to the supplied Wraith cooler would cost me substantially. Secondly, 2600x excels in multitasking and though Ps does not use cores much, the plugins do. So I do expect to get a better performance out of 2600x for the money I paid.
Motherboard: X470 does offer some extra features compared to X370, but those did not seem important for my line of work. So I settled on this board which came way cheaper than X470.
RAM: Paid a little extra for the dual channel, but as my focus was on performance, I felt it was a good choice. Thank you for your suggestions. The MB BIOS needed to be tweaked a little, and voila, the RAM modules are running at 3000MHz FSB.
SMPS: I could save some money on buying 550W, but the difference was not that much, so decided to opt for higher wattage to future proof as much as possible.
Case: There was none other available at this price point and I was not interested to invest more in a case. Overall, the case is not that bad for the price I paid.
SSD: It was kind of an impromptu decision. Settled for 120GB as this was the cheapest and enough for my OS and other common files that various other software stores on C drive. I do expect that the OS is going to run a bit faster.
GPU: Obviously I went way over my budget with this. My old card did not work with this new machine, so at the beginning, I settled for a cheap Zotac 730. Later, after going through a lot of comments and reviews (and after constant "argumentive discussion" with my son), I decided to return that and buy a new one. I was having 1030 in mind and on my way to the shop read more on this matter. At the shop, we also went through few Radeon cards, but as I never found anything enthusiastic about Radeon cards on the net, we decided to go for nVidia. Then again, future proofing took a toll on my budget and I bit the bullet buying 1050Ti.

I know my configuration is not ideal and would not make many members here happy, but this was the best I could figure out after being actively helped by members here.

Thank you again, @The Paladin and all others for helping me out.