Question PC Configuration Review

zakikhan

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Hi All

I am planning to get a new PC build within the budget. PC will be used for light games and running a couple of VM's at any given point of time,.

Can someone confirm if below configuration looks ok in terms of performance, compatibility and price? Can I get something better at the same price?

Price is listed in Australian dollars.

Intel Core i5 8400 Six Core LGA 1151 $299.00
MSI B360M Mortar LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard $145.00
Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA3 HDD 64M $50.00
Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 550W PSU $109.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND SSD 250GB M.2 $59.00
Thermaltake Versa H18 Window Micro Case $49.00
Crucial 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz $59.00

More precisely,

if PSU and case are compatible ( In terms of size as its a mATX case .
if SSD 250GB M.2 will work with the MB
If 550W is enough for power supply

Any more recommendations?

kodydoty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I would suggest a full ATX mobo for upgrades sake and a Mid Tower. The processor is a good pick, id suggest getting an AIO cooler. If youre sticking with 8 GB of ram i would suggest getting 2x4 GB ram sticks as its better to have 2 channels. Pay a little bit more for a 500GB SSD or get a 1TB SSD because a HDD is just a bad idea now a days. Most modern Mobos support M.2

VMs require ram. Are you sure 8GB will be enough for all your VMs and host OS ? Consider getting 2x8GB instead.

if PSU and case are compatible ( In terms of size as its a mATX case .
if SSD 250GB M.2 will work with the MB
If 550W is enough for power supply
PSU is compatible.
M.2 NVME is compatible.
500W PSU is more than enough for this system. There is no gpu, even 300W psu would be enough.

zakikhan

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
I would suggest a full ATX mobo for upgrades sake and a Mid Tower. The processor is a good pick, id suggest getting an AIO cooler. If youre sticking with 8 GB of ram i would suggest getting 2x4 GB ram sticks as its better to have 2 channels. Pay a little bit more for a 500GB SSD or get a 1TB SSD because a HDD is just a bad idea now a days. Most modern Mobos support M.2

I would suggest a full ATX mobo for upgrade's sake and a Mid Tower.
#I do not perform the upgrade quite often. Also selected M.2 SSD just to avoid cable clutters.
Understand that ATX case will help with the air flow and add more space for adding parts in the future, eg graphic card.

The processor is a good pick, id suggest getting an AIO cooler
#I heard that processor comes with the heatsink and I thought that would not require cooler. May be I need to think about it.

If youre sticking with 8 GB of ram i would suggest getting 2x4 GB ram sticks as its better to have 2 channels
#Make sense and I have chaged RAM to
Corsair - Vengence LPX 16 GB ( 2 * 8 GB) DDR4 - 2666 Memory

Pay a little bit more for a 500GB SSD or get a 1TB SSD because a HDD is just a bad idea now a days
#I already provided ( Western Digital Blue 3D NAND SSD 250GB M.2 $59.00 ) in the list in case you missed,

Thanks for the quick reply..Good to know that config is not as bad as I though considering its my first build..

zakikhan

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
VMs require ram. Are you sure 8GB will be enough for all your VMs and host OS ? Consider getting 2x8GB instead.

PSU is compatible.
M.2 NVME is compatible.
500W PSU is more than enough for this system. There is no gpu, even 300W psu would be enough.

Thanks for the reply.. Will change the RAM to
Corsair - Vengence LPX 16 GB ( 2 * 8 GB) DDR4 - 2666 Memory