Jul 25, 2020
hello,

i currently run:
ryzen 7 3800x
rtx 2070 super
16gb 3200mhz
msi x470 gaming pro
240mhz monitor full hd
unfortunately since the last years i played only on console, i have no idea how to configure it for an optimal performance in games.. i play stuff like destiny 2, overwatch, division 2. metro,
my questions are:
what would be the best monitor cfg when it comes to mhz?
would they run better if not in ultra settings and full hd?
should there be a limit to fps in those games?
should vsync be active?

thanks!

Solution
i'm am running the games for almost 1 month now but it doesn't run as smoothly as i would like.. and i don't thing it's an game optimization problem. at the moment:
  • in windows i've setup the monitor to 144 Hertz and freesync on
  • latest graphics driver
  • overwatch: fullscreen, ultra, res 1920 x 1080 and 144 hertz, vsync off and FPS is display based - game runs at 145-155 fps.
My question is: should i leave it at 240, game settings the same, no fps cap with vsync on? or like this? i understand that vsync matches the frame rate to the monitor. the question is general for all games, not just OW

thanks!

If you are at 100 + FPS that should be very smooth. Try turning off freesync and leave the monitor at 240hz.
240 hz monitor is overkill even at the pro gamer level, it's made to make the specs stand out more than for anything practical. Past a 144hz monitor the benefits are very small.

Set refresh rate to the monitor default, run the games, don't worry about other settings, your card is good enough to handle any game. You may not hit 240 fps in all games but that's not an issue unless you see odd stuttering or screen tearing. First play the games and see how things look, then worry about adjusting settings.

Jul 25, 2020
240 hz monitor is overkill even at the pro gamer level, it's made to make the specs stand out more than for anything practical. Past a 144hz monitor the benefits are very small.

Set refresh rate to the monitor default, run the games, don't worry about other settings, your card is good enough to handle any game. You may not hit 240 fps in all games but that's not an issue unless you see odd stuttering or screen tearing. First play the games and see how things look, then worry about adjusting settings.
i'm am running the games for almost 1 month now but it doesn't run as smoothly as i would like.. and i don't thing it's an game optimization problem. at the moment:
  • latest graphics driver
  • overwatch: fullscreen, ultra, res 1920 x 1080 and 144 hertz, vsync off and FPS is display based - game runs at 145-155 fps.

My question is: should i leave it at 240, game settings the same, no fps cap with vsync on? or like this? i understand that vsync matches the frame rate to the monitor. the question is general for all games, not just OW

thanks!

• latest graphics driver

thanks!

If you are at 100 + FPS that should be very smooth. Try turning off freesync and leave the monitor at 240hz.

Reactions: AndyRBL
Solution