[SOLVED] PC connected to gigabit modem by ethernet, will take 1-2 mins to fully connect to internet upon wake, power up

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
My PC is connected by a 1.5 Gbps ethernet cable to my ISPs modem, which is a gigabit modem. Everytime I turn my PC on, at the bottom right of the taskbar, it will sometimes show as the no internet icon (globe pic), and I have to wait 1-2 mins for it to fully connect. The same thing happens when I'm waking my PC from sleep. Sometimes the status will turn into "unidentified network" or "unspecified network", then it will connect. All my devices connect to my modem by wifi no problem, and even my 2nd router connects to the modem without issue. The programs I have on startup is Google Drive File Stream, Folder Size window application, and my keyboard/mouse programs to load my profiles (Razer synapse & Logitech G Hub).

I have refreshed my windows 10 install yesterday, tried updating my network drivers, but there is still a delay. I tried downloading Intel's ethernet drivers, but when I launch setup, it tells me to install a CD-ROM drive. I've also tried plugging the ethernet cable into my other motherboard LAN port, and switching the ethernet port on my modem (there's 2 ports). Is it just a motherboard/PC hardware issue? I did short one of my sata ports a month ago when connecting the wrong psu cable on my new HDD into my mobo/psu. However, my motherboard still works fine as is. The only issue I'm noticing is this delay, as it doesn't connect to the internet as soon as I get past the Windows login screen.

For reference, this is the ethernet cable I have hooked up: https://www.amazon.ca/Ultra-Thin-Ethernet-Network-Internet-Cable/dp/B019OV2LAC

Solution
You are going to have to try things until you find it. Killer chipset are a huge pain but generally the problem people report is low performance in some but not all applications. This is related to their stupid "gamer" qos software.

Some of the old killer interfaces you could run realtek drivers but the newer ones I think you have to use the killer ones. They have ones without the QoS features in them.

The most common cause of this is some DHCP error so I would try a static IP first.
That is a garbage cable but it is not likely the problem. You should never use flat or thin cable the wire size is far below the minimum size for a certified ethernet cable.

What you might try is to assign static ip and dns in the nic settings. Your problem is likely some form of DHCP issue. If it works with a static IP you can leave it that way if you want or try to figure out what is wrong with the DHCP. I would also turn off the IPv6 support since sometime it will attempt to use IPv6 when it does not really have a IPv6 connection.

Reactions: SamirD

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
That is a garbage cable but it is not likely the problem. You should never use flat or thin cable the wire size is far below the minimum size for a certified ethernet cable.

What you might try is to assign static ip and dns in the nic settings. Your problem is likely some form of DHCP issue. If it works with a static IP you can leave it that way if you want or try to figure out what is wrong with the DHCP. I would also turn off the IPv6 support since sometime it will attempt to use IPv6 when it does not really have a IPv6 connection.
Is it my network driver? Killer Ethernet. Should I uninstall it? It's the network driver for my mobo Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5. My PC uses IPv6 connection in the network connections window, but IPv4 connection is also marked

You are going to have to try things until you find it. Killer chipset are a huge pain but generally the problem people report is low performance in some but not all applications. This is related to their stupid "gamer" qos software.

Some of the old killer interfaces you could run realtek drivers but the newer ones I think you have to use the killer ones. They have ones without the QoS features in them.

The most common cause of this is some DHCP error so I would try a static IP first.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
In addition, I would try disconnecting the ethernet cable and trying wifi if your board has wifi. If you have the same problem with wifi, it's something that's affecting ethernet overall.

It probably also won't hurt to boot up a linux live cd/usb and make sure it works correctly there. If it has the same problem, then there is a strong possibility of a hardware problem caused by that short.

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
In addition, I would try disconnecting the ethernet cable and trying wifi if your board has wifi. If you have the same problem with wifi, it's something that's affecting ethernet overall.

It probably also won't hurt to boot up a linux live cd/usb and make sure it works correctly there. If it has the same problem, then there is a strong possibility of a hardware problem caused by that short.
yea, i've tried assigning it a static ip address, gateway, subnet mask, but sometimes doesnt recognize on startup. I just reset my network settings and use default settings. There is still a delay but it's not that big of a deal anyways, will look to upgrading my PC later this year.

IP you do IPCONFIG /all

Does it say disconnected, than normally means some kind of hardware issue but it is very basic since it says that when you have the cable unplugged.

When you have it set to dhcp do you have ip addresses assigned. If not what happens if you do ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew.

If you have ip either from static or from the dhcp what happens if you ping the router ip. What about a ping to 8.8.8.8

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
IP you do IPCONFIG /all

Does it say disconnected, than normally means some kind of hardware issue but it is very basic since it says that when you have the cable unplugged.

When you have it set to dhcp do you have ip addresses assigned. If not what happens if you do ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew.

If you have ip either from static or from the dhcp what happens if you ping the router ip. What about a ping to 8.8.8.8
I think i found the problem, my surfshark vpn. I bought 2 years of Surfshark, downloaded the program, and the software created virtual network adapters for the VPN. I've uninstalled them and now my PC is able to recognize my ethernet connection. I think the virtual network adapters were causing an interference for Windows determining the right network settings?

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
After having to reinstall windows to get a vpn out I only run vpn on my routers. Seems every very large and reputable vpn services have garbage clients sometimes.
I only need the VPN when I would open uTorrent. Can I still uninstall the whole program, and use surfshark's google chrome extension? Will it do the same thing? Just want to dodge my ISP when uTorrent is active

Torrent I did not think ran thought the web browser so I suspect you need the vpn client. Anything in chrome will just do web browsing.

It depends on the VPN but most you can configure what traffic uses the vpn and what traffic does not. You should be able to configure it so web surfing bypasses the vpn.

TRENDING THREADS